Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #41
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: time for another whitewall rant......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in WNC View Post
comments in another thread pushed this button.

I know the white vs black tire is a personal preference thing, but why oh why do we see cars scoring 500 points in Touring Class judging with whitewalls. it gripes me to no end.

I see cars (unwisely) entered in fine point judging with whitewalls. isn't there an automatic point deduction for this?

seems there shold be at least 1 or 2 points dinged in Tour Class for single-sided whitewall tires.

would appreciate any education the JS or Tour guys can provide here......
Here is what MARC says about touring class;

When judging an item listed in the Touring Class Judging Standards, can the item receive partial credit, specifically, split points for the items judged? No. As previously stated most line items are an "objective verification" that can either be answered with a "yes" or "no". If the answer is "yes" then the vehicle will receive the appropriate number of points assigned to the line item. If "no" the line item will receive "0" points.

Your Touring Class Model A will be judged in 6 Areas
Area 1 Engine compartment, right side of vehicle
Area 2 Engine compartment, left side of vehicle
Area 3 Interior
Area 4 Undercarriage
Area 5 Exterior body and fenders
Area 6 Exterior bright work

If someone belongs to a club and they continually rag on for one thing or another QUIT. Our club has cars with all sorts of modifications and colors. These car owners have had there cars compared with others and differences have been pointed out often by the request of the owner. That's it these are the differences, not are these differences bad or good. We all assist each other with our cars dispite the drift from original.

An opinion is a belief about matters commonly considered to be subjective, i.e., it is based on that which is less than absolutely certain.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:39 AM   #42
Greg Jones

In my collection of stuff i have an original Ford ad for the 1930 Cabriolet. The picture of the Cab shows it has whitewalls on it, inside and out. I assume it is a Ford Corporation ad for the time, but maybe it was an ad placed by one of the branches or other dealers? I am out of the US at the moment but when I get home will scan it and post it. After all, you can't have too many discussions about whitewalls, nondetergent oil, modern point plates, babbitt vs. inserts, on and on and on....
Old 05-01-2013, 05:59 AM   #43
Tom Wesenberg

Forget the whitewalls and go with an all white tire!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1911 Harley Davidson.jpg (74.8 KB, 25 views)
Old 05-01-2013, 06:15 AM   #44
JBill

Should have been headed "Time for another PETTY AND POINTLESS whitewall tire rant."
Old 05-01-2013, 06:54 AM   #45
modelAtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Happen to have any pics of the car? Just wondering if I know the vehicle...
JORDAN, I don't know how to post pictures but Ill get my daughter to do it this afternoon. The car came from a very nice older gentlemen named mr. Black he was from KELLER,TX. My avatar has my 31 tudor if you look at the picture of my 1929 roadster, that car originally was in the Dallas club back in the day. I am from Farmers Branch . The first time I saw the roadster was in 1961, 1962 at the STATE FAIR. Dallas club use to have their A's under a big tent next to the old steam train. I WAS 12 THEN AND THAT ROSE BEIGE ROADSTER WITH THE CHROME DOUBLE SPARES AND ORANGE WHEELS WAS THE PRETTIEST THING I EVER SAW. I went to the world meet in dallas in 2008 , aqsked the older members in the Dallas club if anyone remembered the roadster, no luck. I have been close to this car since 1999 . Friend of mine bought it in Dallas that year and I have owned it about 3 years. I will get the double ww picture here soon as i can have fun modelAtony Lafayette,la
Old 05-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #46
Dave in MN

6 times "No comment"...
Old 05-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #47
George Miller

It is kind of funny to me. Some of these guys that do not like white walls, because they did not come that way. Have all kinds of things on there cars they did not come with. Stone guards, step plates and electronic ignition and so on. It is called freedom of choice.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #48
30ccpickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart78 View Post
These look nice.
For a little more, you could of had. (I just like Model A's)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whitealls.jpg (96.7 KB, 31 views)

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.

Last edited by 30ccpickup; 05-01-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #49
buddridge

Opinions are like ass holes, everyone has one.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #50
Mark from Indy

As a new member to the forum, and a new A owner, here goes my reputation - who really gives a rats toot?
These type of threads, like the "those who repair their cars are idiots" threads, serves no helpful purpose.
I have really enjoyed finding this forum and have become addicted. I like the fact I can ask if my left handed Johnson Rod is twisted, and someone will tell me it is right handed...
Even though my direct questions don't always get answered, it's like asking a question in some class, the answer may benefit the larger audience.
Keep the forum on that type of track and you will keep newbies in the world you love - Model A's - and not scare us off

Mark

P.S. - I want that car in post #48 !

Last edited by Mark from Indy; 05-01-2013 at 09:09 AM. Reason: added P.S.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #51
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart78 View Post
These look nice.
Car would lose
points in FINE POINT. No bumpers, & no rumble seat handle !! But it does have BLACK WALLS...
Old 05-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #52
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelAtony View Post
JORDAN, I don't know how to post pictures but Ill get my daughter to do it this afternoon. The car came from a very nice older gentlemen named mr. Black he was from KELLER,TX. My avatar has my 31 tudor if you look at the picture of my 1929 roadster, that car originally was in the Dallas club back in the day. I am from Farmers Branch . The first time I saw the roadster was in 1961, 1962 at the STATE FAIR. Dallas club use to have their A's under a big tent next to the old steam train. I WAS 12 THEN AND THAT ROSE BEIGE ROADSTER WITH THE CHROME DOUBLE SPARES AND ORANGE WHEELS WAS THE PRETTIEST THING I EVER SAW. I went to the world meet in dallas in 2008 , aqsked the older members in the Dallas club if anyone remembered the roadster, no luck. I have been close to this car since 1999 . Friend of mine bought it in Dallas that year and I have owned it about 3 years. I will get the double ww picture here soon as i can have fun modelAtony Lafayette,la
Yeah, I've heard of Mr. Black. I live in Keller too. I remember that it was his wife who was interested in Model A's and she had 3 or 4. After she died, he sold them all off. I don't remember their cars tho, so it would be nice to see a picture. Robert Black actually just died a few months ago.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #53
modelAtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Yeah, I've heard of Mr. Black. I live in Keller too. I remember that it was his wife who was interested in Model A's and she had 3 or 4. After she died, he sold them all off. I don't remember their cars tho, so it would be nice to see a picture. Robert Black actually just died a few months ago.
Jordan yea your right. His name was Robert now that you mentioned it and yes He talked alot about his wife, she had died and SHE was the big ft worth club pusher. We spent about 2 hrs at his real nice small ranch out of town . He also had a 30 coupe with rumble set in out barn about 70 yards from house. It had good body but was all orig. Needed to be restored he said he wanted 4,000.00 for it I will send a picture later on it. The 30 tudor that my wife's aunt and uncle bought started out at 14,000.00 and after the 2 hr talking MR. Black said, ah HECK yall are really nice people and your kinfolk there have a model A. He said lets make the deal for 12,000.00 and everybody will be happy.THAT'S the way the deal went down. cash paid and MOORE SMILES PER MILE. HAVE FUN MODELATONY LAFAYETTE,LA
Old 05-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #54
31Tudor

To WTSHNN's question, there is no point deduction for white walls in touring class judging. A friends car scored 489 in touring class, had white walls, and that was not one of the deductions.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #55
Malcolm Robertson

It's been siting on jack stands for 3-years....I would welcome White or Black if it would get it on the road.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #56
Mitch//pa
BANNED

"quote" Originally Posted by raprice
I have whitewalls on my '30 Model A, but they were on the car when I bought it. They were brand new at the time. When I replace the tires, they will be blackwalls as they were when the car was new.
Rog "quote"

flip them inside out
Old 05-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #57
Chris in WNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv View Post
Is this what I get to hear if I show up this summer at an event?

Doesn't sound too fun.
I would ONLY share my opinion of your whitewalls if we were good friends.
in one-on-one meetings with all others I do not think it kind or wise to do so.....

on this board I'm not so reserved. those who know me know I'm rabid in my opinion of whitewalls but supportive of ALL Model Aers. just think a MAXIMUM of 498 or 499 points is appropriuate for a car with whitewalls.

your results (and opinion) may vary.......
Old 05-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #58
Chris in WNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSHNN View Post
Wow.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure you lose 10 points for having white walls in MARC Touring Class.

You can buy the Touring Class judging standards from MARC for future reference.

-Tim
not so. check the reporting from last summer's meets. there was at least one 500-point car with whitewalls....
Old 05-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #59
Chris in WNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
The whole point of touring class is to permit some of the club members who do not have $80,000 to invest in a fine-points vehicle an opportunity to have a bit of joy showing their daily drivers. Yep, you're definitely hung up on white-walls if your focus is wanting someone ELSE to suffer a deduction. I tend to look for what someone has right, not wrong. If you nit-pick everything in touring class you end up with fine-point and very few cars shown at a meet.

Not everyone with an A is focused on the plain look of a no-frills off the sales-floor A. Even fine-point demands a spare tire. Outrageous! The car came with the metal wheel only. Why not complain about that.
Mike, you missed the point entirely.

I LOVE the Touring Class judging for all the good reasons you specify.

my ONLY point here is to question the wisdom of giving 500 points to a car with whitewalls....

guys like Dusty who dare to be different are 100% OK in my view of the world, BUT his paint color would get a point deduction just as I believe whitewalls should.

Last edited by Chris in WNC; 05-01-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #60
Phil

Man you are hung up on white walls! Love them or hate either is fine. Why is it necessary to push your unwanted opinion of someone else's car. Like my momma always said "if you can't say something to someone, don't say anything at all". Just be nice it doesn't cost a thing.
Closed Thread