Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #41
P.S.

Default Re: Tubes! A bit of a rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
Where did you buy the Firestone tubes?
Les Schwab Tire Center ordered them for me. The manager there said the foreign made tubes are thinner and give them lots of problems, so they only sell the Firestone tubes because they're thicker, and never have problems. So far, he's right. I have about a thousand miles on mine and they still have exactly the same amount of air the tire shop put in them on day one.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #42
1crosscut

My AA needed all new tires and tubes to get it back on the road. All 4 tires and the spare loose about 3 -4 lbs of pressure evenly each month. I can check one and pretty much know the pressure of all the others.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #43
Bob C

Is there a part number for the Firestone tube, I couldn't find anything on
the Firestone web site.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #44
James Rogers

I bought my Firestone tires and tubes from Coker 10 years ago and they have never leaked a # of air. 12000 miles and they still have tread but won't last much more than a few tho more.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #45
29closedcab

This may be silly but has anyone tried filling up with nitrogen instead of compressed air?
29closedcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #46
P.S.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
http://www.firestonetubes.com/

Their website says their tubes are made in the USA.

FYI- Nitrogen is just dry air.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #47
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I am surprised this has gone 3 pages however it definitely has been off-track several times. Two comments are the red tubes are actually natural rubber aren't they, --so yes they last a lifetime.

The tubes that you buy from Coker are decent ...when they are installed as original. I have many sets we have done over the years and the success rate is really good. People here for some reason seem to get all bent out of shape when someone shouts "keep it original" but you guys with the rubber stems are the only ones that have a problem with the new tubes. Sure we from time to time will find when we install the stems, one will leak but that is why we air them up and let them sit for a week or so before installing in the tire. If the aired-up tubes are still holding air after a week of setting on the shelf, then they are ready to install. If one is flat, usually just a quick turn of the stem nut corrects the problem.

Now someone is surely going to say that metal stems and the associated hardware cost too much money but the brutal truth is they can be purchased on eBay all day long for not much money. It just takes effort to search and purchase. The best thing is when you do have metal stems, they are good for the lifetime of the car unless there is 'mechanic-error' involved. I guess what I have trouble comprehending is how some will say "I would pay more money for a better product" ...however it seems these are the very people that took the cheap way out and purchased rubber stems instead of the metal stems that the wheel was originally designed for!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #48
Fred K-OR

Sure glad I used my old tubes, not sure how old, with my new whitewall tires on my 29 std coupe. (sorry about being tire specific)
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #49
Tiny

Brent
Well said. Thankyou. I try to do lots of research before I buy something. I have thought about going the OG metal stem route but the idea of cutting the tube open has always scared me a bit.
P.S.
I think I might have to talk to Les Schwab. I already asked them about powder coating the wheels and got a very fair quote.
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #50
ctlikon0712

Anyone questioning how to install the metal valve stems, here is a nice tech article.

http://sheepisland.com/cars/tech/metal_stems/

And a FB discussion

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...al+stems+tubes
Old 05-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #51
John Duden

"Tires.........MAN KILLERS!" ~Grandpa Tom~
I got really good at changing tractor plow tires. When you get a flat tire on a Steel wheel THEN YOU REALLY GOTS PROBLEMS!
John Duden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #52
Tiny

I've looked at both of those also. I'm still scared. I don't know why I'm a very compitent mechanic. I guess it's fear of the unknown. I've never cut a tube open on purpose.
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #53
columbiA

A year oer so back,I installed new Firestones on a 31 sedan.I reused the 40 year old tubes as they were like new with no patches.They will leak several # over the winter,but have been no problem at all.I had a new China tube that split open on my coupe as soon as I got it to35 #,& I am very careful when mounting tubes & use baby powder & deflate & reinflate to 35 #.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #54
John_Carter

Tiny - You already have some tubes with bad stems - why not try installing a metal stem in one?
John_Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #55
Chuck Sea/Tac

Question Re: Tubes! A bit of a rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
http://www.firestonetubes.com/

Their website says their tubes are made in the USA.

FYI- Nitrogen is just dry air.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say? Air is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and misc other stuff. However, nitrogen IS dry.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #56
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
Hmm? Cycle tubes never though of that. Those Pirelli heavy duty tubes with brass stem are intriguing, but the sizes are all wanky.
Would the 120 90 work?
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...WT.MC_ID=54020
A 120/90 x 19 motorcycle tire would be 4.25" x 19". Just a bit too small to fit a 4.75/5.00 tire without radial seam stretch. That would be bad for butt seams, workable for lap seams on butyl tubes.

The Pirelli tire in your link is made in china and thin compared to other motorcycle tires. It may say 'H.D." but it is not! The Michelin Ultra Heavy is near twice as thick. Moose and Metzler H.D. inner tubes are made in europe and also much heavier than the chinese Pirelli in your link. If I were going to try a 120/90 x 19 motorcycle tire, I'd avoid the Pirelli. Just my opinion.

If you want to start a big stir, like the "which oil is best" stuff here, go on a dirt bike forum and ask "Which inner tubes are best".
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:06 AM   #57
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy1 View Post
Jordan ;

Going on a long trip with questionable tubes.
nope, only one tube was questionable which was in a spare, borrowing a spare off of another car.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #58
Terry, NJ

1 perpetually soft tube on my coupe.
2nd failed tube on my E-150
2nd failed tube on my 26" bike, All in one month!
4 good tubes, no leaks, bought from Smith and Jones 4 years ago at Hershey ???
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #59
William Kelchner

I replaced my tires with Cooker 19" but believe I got the tubes and liners from the Goodyear shop that mounted them, no flats in about 5 years (knock on wood).

Several days ago ordered a rear brake hose for my 64 Impala and there in big letters "Made in China". When I'm driving this car I'm sure the quality of the brake hose will always be in the back of my mind.
William Kelchner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #60
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
I'm not sure what you are trying to say? Air is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and misc other stuff. However, nitrogen IS dry.

Yes. 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and the rest being water vapor, CO2, argon, neon, contaminates, etc.

However, since we're talking about inflating tires using inner tubes, there is no advantage to using nitrogen. In the example of tubeless tire installation on metal wheels (particularly, non painted or powder coated wheels), there is an advantage to the nitrogen (very dry air) because the lack of moisture will help prevent corrosion of the wheels from inside.

Some argue that the lack of oxygen means that tire pressure will stay more constant due to the tendency of oxygen to migrate through the rubber tires. That's not scientifically sound. Just another paranoid rumor started on an internet forum by some "expert". Anyone who has passed chemistry 101 can explain why that's not really correct. The rubber being semi porous would be the major concern.