Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2011, 06:38 AM   #21
guitar4u

Talking Re: 1929 found at garage sale

She is HOME! Here is some pics...<P>

<P>
<p><p><p>
guitar4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:43 AM   #22
guitar4u

Default Re: 1929 found at garage sale

You have to scroll over to the right to see the cute couple I bought it from. Roger handed me some paperwork for the car and it dated from 1964 and was address to him. He has owned the car for 45+ years, two years before I was born! I'll get that head switched out this weekend. He thinks she will fire up. Any tips on starting a car for the first time in 40 years? I know about fuel filters and mystery oil for the cylinders, cleaning the bowl on the carb, etc...
Old 06-08-2011, 07:09 AM   #23
Tom Wesenberg

Looks like you got an excellent buy and should make a nicely restored Sport Coupe.

You could pull the distributor and pour a quart of oil down the hole so the mains have oil right away. Rather than do that, since you are pulling the head, just oil the cylinder walls and crank the engine over several times with the head off. Now you will prime the valve chamber to oil the mains, and you can also check that all 8 valves are moving up and down OK. If any valves are stuck, oil the stems and tap them down, but make sure the cam lobe is down for that valve before tapping it down. In other words have that cylinder's piston TDC on firing, then tap on the stuck valve.

Use the copper gasket and spray both sides with Copper-Coat, then install the head.

After the battery is installed with + ground, jump across the two cutout terminals on the generator for 1 second. This will polarize the generator.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:20 AM   #24
Richard Wilson

Many of us restorers dream about finding an unrestored Model A in such good shape (and at such a good price). Condition of that body is amazing. Congratulations!

PS.....that is not a popular body style for a hot rod from what I have seen over the years.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #25
SGT in Ont.

I think you already have your father-son project. Once you start you will be hooked.
SGT in Ont. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:03 AM   #26
Tinker

Go Twins!!!

If you cut that car up you might as well go over to Rogers house and just punch him in the face too. Just kidding! He might not care at all.

If you have room in the garage and money to burn, keep it and buy a hotrod. If not flip to a guy here and buy a unfinished hotrod project. There are plenty. There is a huge difference in the definition of "hotrod" as well. Driving that one as/is could be considered a jalopy.

Hamb: listings for hotrod projects.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=594436
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=595482
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=593787
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=597016
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=593125

Last edited by Tinker; 06-08-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #27
Uncle Bob

None of the advice given here is wrong, lots of good intentions. In the real world there are good intentions (or theories), and then there are actual outcomes. Not trying to be a wet blanket here, just more food for thought.

First, GREAT SCORE!!! If you were in love with a stock Model A sport coupe this is close to the score of this young century. Those that have been around this hobby for any length of time will encourage newer comers to buy the best starting material they can find/afford to ensure a higher likelyhood of a positive outcome. This is a good example of that. Since you've expressed a preference for a rod, this only fits if you REALLY want a mild, Model A based car. Some banger speed equipment, maybe hydraulic brakes, '35 wires, drop axle, that sort of thing. Maybe even a body swap if this one doesn't do it for you. If as a traveling musician you don't have the time to do a ground up car, and want something more modified than described here, it's probably not the right starting point, no matter how nice.

But here comes the rub. While folks can spin all manner of scenarios for you to consider, they're only meaningful if they are going to follow through with the transaction............otherwise it's just brain storming. Somewhere out there is "the right guy" for what you might want to do. The guy who's just dying to have this car, and has what you want to trade. But how do you find him, if he really exists? And are both of you in a position at this time, or when you're ready, to make it happen?

Abbreviated story: a few years ago I had a '40 deluxe tudor sedan deal similar to what you have here that came to me in a trade go round. Body wasn't as nice, but the chassis and drive train were all restored and finished. Box loads of NOS parts, plus some good repop stuff. It was absolutely complete, but not fully assembled. For a knowledgable '40 lover it would have been a killer package. I advertised heavily for 6 months. Sent out multiple replies with pictures and 5 pages of detailed spread sheet on the parts available. Typed and spoke lots of descriptions. NADA for real live buyers. This, BTW, was just a few years ago when the economy wasn't bleak and folks were buying old cars by using their home equity as a cash machine.........i.e. supposedly the "ideal" market. In the end I needed the space in the shop, and money back out for the other projects I had. Now some would say, "obviously you were priced too high." Well, except I ended up selling it in pieces for a bit more than half again more than I was asking for the total package. Not an uncommon experience that probably many here have shared.

The point is, anything CAN happen, but how much effort do you have to put in to MAKE it happen. You might get "lucky" and the right guy on this Model A dedicated board will see this thread and step up. I hope so, it would be nice to see someone who loves it make it whole again. But reality says you may have to work at it (hopefully not more than you're prepared for), even though I think you made the right choice and a hell of a good score.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #28
guitar4u

Well,

I am keeping her original. I went out this morning and saw in my parts boxes that I had the crank for the motor. I tried it and the car went backwards. Ha, I had it in gear. But a good sign, the tranny and rear-end moved the car. Once I put her in Neutral she spun easily. So, I pulled the sparkplugs out, had my wife crank it and she has compression on all 4 cylinders. I will be heading to Dearborn west to get the head gasket later today.

I have Taken the car apart, and gone through all the parts and I have an abundance of some thing (mechanical), but I am missing a few things. I need the bottom frame to the rumble seat, the door panels (I have the steel trim pieces), the horn, The back deck for behind the seat, A battery, Ignition switch & keys, The original rod that connects the hood together, And tons more I can't think of.

But The three wood frames I have are original and in great shape, The wood on the top was replaced in the 70's( I Have the receipt). He got the wood from a place in Kansas that has gone out of business, but I guess they were the best. The top, no holes, but worn.

The biggest thing is I am putting together something somebody else took apart. So question marks abound. I am a good wrench. I used to rebuild motors for boats back in high school, so mechanical is not an issue. Body work is my weakness, but she looks real clean. I have a guy that restores hotrods that will do a "right" paint job, removing the fenders and putting that rubber beading back in and so on, that is very close to me. She is going back to original colors....Black and rose beige.

I will keep you guys updated on her progress. I have named her "Lucy" after my wife. It is her nickname due to all the crazy stuff she does. All I can say is marry a blond. It makes life interesting! HA!

Here is some more pics. There is a panel on the floor of the trunk, kind of where your feet would be sitting in it that looks replaced, but it looks solid and will be covered by carpet when done.

Thanks for all your input. After build 4 muscle cars, I am looking forward to this. It has been a while, but it will be a fun summer project. I must say, I have never falling in love with a car as much as Lucy. I have only had her for a day, but I love this car. I took her all apart and she didn't bite me once. Can't say that about any of my Mopars.

PS..When I was picking up the car, Rogers brother John came over to say bye to it. He told me a story of how Roger promised to give his kids a ride in it when it was done. That was 1970. His kids are 55 & 58 now, older than me, but if I can get her done in time, I am going to make sure he keeps his promise. Wish me luck!

Oh, and what do I need for the rumble seat to go back in? I didn't see the bracket that would mount to the car in anything I found. Can somebody post a pic of one?

And thanks to Rusty for help me get her home. Thanks bud!

Old 06-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #29
John Kennedy

WOW! That's nice!
You be careful with that crank, or you'll get your arm in a cast. I think there's a particular way to do that.

Mighty cool ride! You gonna use that heater?
Old 06-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #30
Jason in TX

I don't think he'll snap his arm just yet with the giant crack in that head. Maybe when he goes to get it running, then watch out!
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #31
guitar4u

Yes already.
My wife says I have a compulsion disorder. I don't know what the hell she is talking about, but I just got back from Little dearborn with everything I need to get her fired up, so.....I gotta go back and work on the car some more. With fingers crossed, she should be running tonight. I got a lesson on setting the timing from the good guys at little dearborn. What a cool group of guys. If you have ever seen the barbershop part of Gran Torino, that was this bunch. They schooled me on the heavy 600wt oil for the tranny and rear-end, and the non detergent 30wt oil for the motor, so I got that.

I called a local auto body shop and she is going in on Monday. Should take a month or so. I don't like telling auto body guys to hurry.

My goal is to first get the car back to Roger so he can take those kids for a ride, and second, we have a 100th anniversary Parade thing going on here in Waconia in late August along with a couple car shows. My kids are looking forward to throwing candy at little kids from the rumble seat.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #32
Pilotdave

You are having WAY too much fun! Which is just terrific. Enjoy the rehab - hope you have it running soon!!
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #33
WTSHNN

What does the "B" stand for in the middle of the door? Briggs?

-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:14 AM   #34
Hitchhiker

I wish my car was half that clean! good score.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #35
dean from bozeman

Guitar4u, this is just an amazing story. For a guy like me who loves Model A's this is almost a story that is too good to be true. But life is like that at times. You find a great car, ask for advice, bring it home and "change gears" on what you will do with it, ideas about giving the "old kids" a ride, your kids will eventually throw candy from the rumble seat... This is all too cool.

Rusty Nelson and the guys at Little Dearborn are some of the best. There are a ton of other great Model A folks in Minnesota (Tom Wesenberg, John Alinder, et al.) who would be more than willing to give a helping hand, advice or help find that part. Your kids will see this helpfulness and interaction and they will learn tons about the good in people. What a great opportunity. And it all started at a garage sale...wow! Good for you and your family. Have fun.
Dean
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #36
Tinker

Crank starting how to. Others will have better tips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDqPuzC1SJE
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #37
Gumpy

good for you on your purchase....the car is now yours and its your choice what you do with it....before v8"s became popular the 4 banger could put out quite a bit of power....you might be surprized if you add a high compression head to that motor!
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #38
Gumpy

GREAT FIND....nice pictures.....enjoy it!!
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #39
Dave27

That is one sweet looking car your way further ahead than I was when I got mine. Seeing that makes me want a 2nd one like yours and I'm not even done with my first one yet.I used to be a rodder also. I had a 1969 512HP NOVA SS .But now I'm more into nastalgia Great find and story,hats off to ya.....Dave
Dave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #40
Jason in TX

I know you mentioned carpet in the rumble seat. Just letting you know that they make a rubber mat that you can buy that is what was originally back there. Then you just plop it down, and done!
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote