Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-21-2014, 01:50 PM   #21
MikeK

Default Re: Electrical Horn Problem

Original wiring:
Wire from generator out terminal to horn, Second wire from horn to center solder tab on bakelite disk inside light switch, under the metal cover with bail. Pressing horn button completes ground through steering column to that center disk terminal. Ahooga!

If running 6V horn an 12V, add a ballast resistor in either horn wire (often inside horn cover).

Given: A wire has two ends. You know where one end of the mystery wire is. (inferior chinese yellow wire nut). Find out where the other end is attached and let us know.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:27 PM   #22
Bob C

There's nothing to be sorry for. I would look around for a loose wire, that
wire nut had to be hooked to another wire near by.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #23
CWilson

Feeling stupid now... Weeks back I had grounded the wire to the frame. Tried horn button with no results. Thinking back, I'm almost 100% sure I did not have the ignition on... Grounded the wire and turned the ignition on, horn works perfectly. Thanks everyone for the help.

Chris
CWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #24
CWilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
There's nothing to be sorry for. I would look around for a loose wire, that
wire nut had to be hooked to another wire near by.

Bob
I put the wire nut on after it had come lose so it wasn't just dangling around. Thanks
CWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #25
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWilson View Post
Feeling stupid now... Weeks back I had grounded the wire to the frame. Tried horn button with no results. Thinking back, I'm almost 100% sure I did not have the ignition on... Grounded the wire and turned the ignition on, horn works perfectly. Thanks everyone for the help.
Chris
OK, this confirms you do not have two things: 1) An original ignition switch. 2) The original wiring configuration. This makes a Model A wiring diagram useless for you!

In your case and based upon your electrical savvy, I agree with what Tom W. posted earlier- get a new wiring harness and make the spaghetti bowl go away. Even if for some reason (like an electronic ignition module) you do not use the exact original ignition wiring config, you will learn where all the wires go and then you will be way ahead.

Happy Holidays! Maybe Hanukkah Harry or St Nick will get you a new wiring harness. Scrooge here recommends Sacramento Vintage Ford for an A harness. They make their own to exact specs with proper wire and excellent connectors. Also if you need some harness changes like added wires or different (larger) gauges for some leads, like the genny to the starter switch they can do it. That may turn Herschel (Harry) or St. Nick into the Easter Bunny but it will be worth the extra wait.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:36 PM   #26
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
exact specs with proper wire and excellent connectors.
I read here that they have the best reproduction, but they are still off on the pattern of the trace color in the wiring and the connectors.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:33 AM   #27
MikeK

Very true Mike V, but I don't think we are talking about a fine point build here.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:18 AM   #28
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Very true Mike V, but I don't think we are talking about a fine point build here.
Just did not want anyone confused. Sac Vintage the the vendor in Rhode Island, http://www.riwire.com/ make the best ones.