Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #21
Rowdy
BANNED

Default Re: Possible First Model A

With the amount of wood in that body, I would pass. Although the 1929 60-B that I used the chassis for the delivery was the same price. The engine ran and it had a title. As far as rust, there was very little, fenders were missing. Managed to sell most of the body panels and came out ahead and still have the chassis. I would not do it again though. Rod
Old 10-13-2014, 09:31 PM   #22
Tinbasher

There's alot of experience talking here. Get a price in your mind that you can afford to buy a driving car. 5500.00 - 6500.00 can get you a good car to start with that you can drive, learn and enjoy. I wish I had done this for my car as it was a chassis and a bare body without brackets or hardware. 27 years later I'm still hunting for parts to complete the car.

Have some fun a Model A is a great car to learn about the old car hobby.

The Old Tinbasher
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:58 PM   #23
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Please buy a driver!!!! If you really want a car on the cheap you can try to build a speedster, we have a member that did that and used all kind of parts and it looks great.
I know of another person that is still building his speedster. With a speedster you get to learn about all the mechanical systems and you have an excellent base for a body at a later date.

The wood kit for that Fordor is about $4500.00 alone.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:01 AM   #24
Terry,NJ

Actually, that $4500 estimate is only the body and door wood. You still have to get the seat wood. And I can't find anyone who is making it, except for the seat bases. But there is other wood in the seats beside the bases. So, if your stuck with one of these shapes/pieces, you may have to have it custom made by a local cabinetmaker for who knows how much.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Please buy a driver!!!! If you really want a car on the cheap you can try to build a speedster, we have a member that did that and used all kind of parts and it looks great.
I know of another person that is still building his speedster. With a speedster you get to learn about all the mechanical systems and you have an excellent base for a body at a later date.

The wood kit for that Fordor is about $4500.00 alone.
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:45 AM   #25
ronn

I sort of disagree with most everyone here..........

I would add up the value of the parts, make an offer of around 300-400. and part it out.
would give you some experience and a bit of cash to buy the car you want. I am guessing you are on a budget and so, that is how it is sometimes done.
at least that's how I do it.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:34 PM   #26
Mike Peters

I kind of agree with Ronn. It's worth 3 or 4 hundred as is. Then peddle what's left of the body, but keep the cowl and put together a high school speedster, if you can bust that engine and rear end loose to get a driving chassis. I just sold a set of Murray door skins and a bunch of other body parts for $200, and that was cheap. The buyer was delighted to get this stuff. Then put the money from body sales towards your speedster, huckster, or whatever fires your imagination. Does it have a title? Model A's are a ton of fun, but you have to be a little bit smart. All the other guys are more than correct about not attempting to restore that 4 dr. body. It's a disaster. And like everyone else has already said, get with your local Model A club. They will help you with whatever mechanical issues you may have. You will be running and driving in 6 months or less, body or no body. Good luck!!!!
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #27
Terry,NJ

Mike , I've been to Ronn's and I assume that is you on the Tractor. Point is, that both of you have plenty of space. I envy you both. I (and many others) would like to aquire , break down and part out, model As. Yeah, I'm a hoarder too! Every day I have to guard against it. Clean up weeks are real hell on me!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peters View Post
I kind of agree with Ronn. It's worth 3 or 4 hundred as is. Then peddle what's left of the body, but keep the cowl and put together a high school speedster, if you can bust that engine and rear end loose to get a driving chassis. I just sold a set of Murray door skins and a bunch of other body parts for $200, and that was cheap. The buyer was delighted to get this stuff. Then put the money from body sales towards your speedster, huckster, or whatever fires your imagination. Does it have a title? Model A's are a ton of fun, but you have to be a little bit smart. All the other guys are more than correct about not attempting to restore that 4 dr. body. It's a disaster. And like everyone else has already said, get with your local Model A club. They will help you with whatever mechanical issues you may have. You will be running and driving in 6 months or less, body or no body. Good luck!!!!
Old 10-15-2014, 06:37 AM   #28
Mike Peters

Terry: Yep. That's me on the tractor. I think I either heard or read that the majority of the subscribers to both the Restorer and Model A News lived at rural addresses. Is this true?
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #29
Terry,NJ

Mike, I wish I still had my little farm in Jackson, NJ. I loved it! But the "Bennies" from North Jersey moved in and land values went way up. It just wasn't working any more!
Is that a Farmall "M"? I had a "H". Plus a A.C. "B" and a Ford 8N. On our family farm in Hunterdon Co we had a 1936 JD "B" and a JD "60". The valuable thing about farms is the space where you can always tuck something away and not worry about the neighbors getting agitated.
Terry
Old 10-15-2014, 04:56 PM   #30
spdway1

Maybe Jack Moccio in Southwick has something?
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:04 PM   #31
DJ S

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdway1 View Post
Maybe Jack Moccio in Southwick has something?
Hahaha I bet he does.
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:54 PM   #32
steve s

My first car was a "driver" Model A. l would not wish anything less on any kid. PLEASE pass on this offer. Get him an already running car and he'll have plenty enough to keep him busy.

steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #33
Big hammer

DJS welcome to the model A hobby. You don't need a car to enjoy the
hobby! You know that already. It's nice to have younger people interested
in the model A hobby! What got you interested,What is your story,who
got you in the hobby,any driving or riding stories.We all like good
stories :-)
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:51 PM   #34
DJ S

I've been involved with Model As since I could walk. I showed interest in these old cars and my grandpa noticed it. He took me on rides in his 1930 roadster all the time. We'd walk into the barn behind the house and talk about all the cars he has. Last year was when I took the big step forward to being apart of the Model A hobby. I joined my local Model A club that my grandpa has been apart of for about 10 years now. My car addiction has only gotten worse. During the summer we go on runs with everyone in the club up to local ice cream shops and car shows. Two weeks ago we went on a 100 mile trip up to Ozzie's diner to have lunch. Just this summer we pulled out my grandfather's '30 tudor from the barn. We got it running and determined that it needs an engine rebuild. My avatar is a picture of me driving it around the yard for the first time. The picture below is us walking down the yard to the good ole' shade tree.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0398.jpg (35.3 KB, 44 views)
Old 10-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #35
Big hammer

Great story!! That's what the hobby is about.Memories.My two cents
continue enjoying with Grandpa,your club,Ford barn,you will gain skills
knowledge. Wait for your driver car! It may just need a little help. It's
ok to help work on others cars ( most of us need help in one way or
another :-)
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:34 PM   #36
DJ S

I found another Model A for sale near me that catches my interest. This is defiantly in a lot better shape the other fordor I posted earlier but still needs work. Is this one a good start?
http://lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/4736774146.html
Old 10-30-2014, 10:04 PM   #37
dean from bozeman

The body looks very nice. Great start. Of course with no engine you will have to "Fred Flinstone" it when you drive it! Seriously, check with local Model A clubs in the Northeast because someone will have a complete, running engine for sale.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:07 PM   #38
Rowdy
BANNED

That looks much more solid and straight than the first one. You sure are good at finding fordors. Rod
Old 10-31-2014, 06:35 AM   #39
DJ S

He has the engine, but it's all apart. It needs a total rebuild. I was thinking if I can get this a little cheaper, it would be well worth it.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:45 AM   #40
ronn

If youre looking at spending anywhere close to 4000., there was a nice driver on the swap section here for about 6000. It was a tudor.....

wouldnt pay more then 2000. for the one in the photo-but thats me.....

I would also buy a good running motor over doing a total rebuild for the first time around, but again, just my opinion. The $ for parts adds up fast. You can get a good running motor for 200-300. on CL
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote