Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
JCU

Default Looking for some advise

I posted this on another forum and was referred here for some ideas..

I recently found a 1928 Tudor Sedan that's a survivor by many standards. It was bought new in 28 by a guy that took one vacation a year and walked to work every day, he passed in the mid 60's and the executor of the estate wanted a kid that helped her do all of her chores (good friend of mine) to buy the car. it had 16-17000 miles at the time, now its 17,999.

He was about 12 at the time and had some money so his Dad ended up titling it. The car is all original(Engine, Trans, Paint, interior, elect, etc. , with the exception of a small dent they repaired on one front fender years ago. Its been drove once a year and stored in a garage for 40+ years and always garaged before that.

He finally got the car from the farm and I was able to look at it, while its weathered 80+ years and shows its age its very original looking. It needs cleaning and a new rope gasket in the water pump and possibly a coil it does run and drive. While its weathered 80+ years and shows its age; its very original looking. It needs cleaning and a new rope gasket in the water pump and possibly a coil it does run and drive.

17999 miles with engine number *A234097* manufactured on 6-25-28. Some of the paint is surprisingly good while the fenders have lost much finish. The right front fender was unfortunately repainted after a board made a dent. I'll post a few pics on that other site and see what they say or if there's any interest in such a beast. Ive never seen anything quit like it that old.

What would you guys suggest for him selling this car, is it worth getting looked at, cleaned, left as is or should it just go on e-Bay or something similar.

Many thanks, this car should be somewhere it can be appreciated and not spend another 40+ years in the barn.

JCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
2935ford

Default Re: Looking for some advise

It appears to have a gas leak issue at the steering column where it attached to the tank and I would not attempt to start it until the old gas has been removed and the tank inspected. Probably pretty well varnished up right through the entire fuel system and carb!
The interior is in excellent condition if original. Mice usually got at it.
Very cool find!
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
Russ/40

Assuming the car is not an older restoration, it's greatest value is just the way it is now. The car should NOT be restored. An overall cleaning and mechanical review is in order. Get it running, and hordes of "A" fans will be climbing all over it. It is an excellent reference vehicle for research. Are you considering purchasing the car?

The grill shell looks to be chrome. I don't think that is correct for the period. ????
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
Aerocraft

I agree with Russ. Once the car is restored, you have one just like everybody else. To me, the best thing for this car is to clean it up but do not restore it. If the radiator shell has been replated, find a correct original unrestored one. I would repair the tank as necessary. A good painter can fix the damaged area. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
1931 flamingo

Leave it just like it is....
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
Wick

Wash it then wipe it down with Baby oil...she will shine then. In the 50's they wiped them down with WD-40.
Fix the gas leak and have her running good. Write down the History,have a notery stamp it. And find some old pictures of the car and the owners.
Post it for sale on Fordbarn first.
Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Agree, clean it, lube all moving parts, fix the tank leak, and drive it. They're only original once.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
Jim Parker Toronto

This appears a very nice survivor car. I agree with the idea of leaving it alone save for perhaps some gentle cleaning of what is there. is there a chance to get any more detail pictures, engine compartment, fenders, underneath?
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:07 PM   #9
700rpm

Low mileage survivors are rare. Keep it as is, except for minor preservation. The radiator shell looks like a repro, though. That could be replaced by a good unrestored original to keep the flavor right.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #10
JCU

Thanks for the info guys, I showed the thread to the owner and he really appreciates the input.
I really wish I could buy it but its just not in the cards, he says he has some older pictures and the daughter of the woman that was the executor of the original owners estate may have some additional info on the car.

It runs though they had to push start it since the battery was dead, at this time there are no gas leaks. He said if its not original it was added before they got the car with the exception of that painted fender, he thinks his Dads intention was to get the dent hammered out but the guy painted it.

The interior is nice, aside from the stains on the driver seat that look like they could be cleaned up with the right product to some degree and the headliner is loose in the drivers side rear corner.

He said he thought one of the tires was possibly an original as well (maybe the spare.

When I went to look at it my first impression was that it needs to be preserved and cared for by someone who can do it right.

He loves this car but knows it needs a good home besides the barn.

Heres the rest of the pix I have.

JCU is offline   Reply With Quote