Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2024, 01:20 PM   #1

Default Hirsch Auto Auction Sale

It looks like Hirsch Automotive is no longer going to be selling automotive upholstery material, carpeting , wool broadcloth, etc.
Their left over stock of leather, wool, carpeting etc. is being auctioned off.
When I spoke to Jeff last year he was having trouble sourcing a lot of the stock he normally carries.
They will continue with their other catalog items according to what I read.
I will miss being to place an order on the phone and have the material in less than a week.
Times are changing.
95476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 02:38 PM   #2
Seth Swoboda

Default Re: Hirsch Auto Auction Sale

It getting to be where sourcing and installing upholstery is more expensive than a paint job.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 02:48 PM   #3
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
It getting to be where sourcing and installing upholstery is more expensive than a paint job.
That is why I am looking at commercial sewing machines and getting my bosses wife to teach me how to use it....BUT the BIG problem seems to be availability of the materials!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 03:11 PM   #4
19Fordy

I wonder if it would be possible to import materials from England or Europe?

You can bet that China will be ramping up it's production of these materials once they know there is a worldwide market for them.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 03:12 PM   #5

That is what I am doing. I had a great friend who did upholstery work. He mainly did furniture but would occasionally do auto work for friends. He showed me a lot of tricks over the years. He passed away but I still rmember a lot of what he taught me. A few years ago my girlfriend asked why I didn't try upholstery work. She said you weld, paint, etc, if you can do that you might be able to do interior work as well.
After listening to many in the business and some friends I tookm the plunge and bought a new commercial machine. It was a slow start but I am picking up speed with each job on my projects. I still rely on some very talented locals to do my seats but everything else I do. YOUTUBE IS YOUR FRIEND !!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2024, 03:16 PM   #6

From what Jeff Hirsch told me, the mills in England shut down.
I was buying rose beige '33/'34 Ford mohair from him for years.
I bought the last of his stock.
I was recently able to source 20 yds. from EBAY, believe it or not.
There are still companies selling the materials but you have to really look.
The German Square Weave Carpet is getting harder to find now as well.
Old 05-16-2024, 03:19 PM   #7
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
I wonder if it would be possible to import materials from England or Europe?

You can bet that China will be ramping up it's production of these materials once they know there is a worldwide market for them.
I'm not sure the market is that big. How many folks are interested in authentic upholstery materials for their car? How many folks are still interested in pre-war cars in their original form? Most of us here are, however that is a very limited number of folks. The other issue has become the cost. These cars as we love them are falling in value. Lots of supply, small market of buyers. The best of my cars wouldn't bring $20,000. I have shifted my way of thinking from I love the restoration process to why spend that much money when I can buy a car with a nice usable interior for less and enjoy it? On the brite side, the best part about inflation is it will make millionaires out of most of us.

Last edited by Seth Swoboda; 05-16-2024 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-16-2024, 03:40 PM   #8
19Fordy

Seth makes some good points. I wonder what it was that caused LeBaron-Bonney to shut down?
Did they see the writing on the wall re: car restoration market?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 03:54 PM   #9
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Seth makes some good points. I wonder what it was that caused LeBaron-Bonney to shut down?
Did they see the writing on the wall re: car restoration market?
I think "age" was the main one, the owner wanted to retire, THEN the desire of the ones that followed to "maintain" the level of devotion and commitment that the founder did......as well as supply issues.....Mills shutting down!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 04:03 PM   #10
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
I think "age" was the main one, the owner wanted to retire, THEN the desire of the ones that followed to "maintain" the level of devotion and commitment that the founder did......as well as supply issues.....Mills shutting down!!!!
Yes, age. That brings up another good point. There are lots of small businesses out there owned by folks who want to retire. There are little buyers for these businesses. Young folks can't afford to purchase them and then there is the fact that few younger folks have the skill, knowledge or motivation to run a business. Or some combination of all those.

Last edited by Seth Swoboda; 05-16-2024 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-16-2024, 04:23 PM   #11
Seth Swoboda

A great example....this was just a few weeks ago. On the EFV8 Club website there was a beautiful 1933 Ford Fordor for sale. Gorgeous car. An older restoration that was very well maintained. It was advertised for $18,500. I would imagine the buyer would have taken $17,500 and you pay the transport. I pinched myself to make sure it wasn't a dream. Okay, it was a Fordor but a damn nice '33 Ford. You can't begin to restore the chassis for $15k if you rebuild everything including the rearend, transmission and engine. Someone got a great buy on that car.

Last edited by Seth Swoboda; 05-17-2024 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-16-2024, 04:23 PM   #12
tubman

I think the market is drying up. I sold over 500 of my "Trash Can" condensers over a 7 year period. It was not a big volume, but steady. Then the demand just stopped about a year and a half ago. I believe we had saturated the market of folks with vintage high performance distributors.

It also may have something to do with raising the prices to a level commensurate with my cost. A guy with a spiffy old Mallory or Harmon-Collins will step up, but a guy with a regular distributor is priced out of the market.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 04:31 PM   #13
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I think the market is drying up. I sold over 500 of my "Trash Can" condensers over a 7 year period. It was not a big volume, but steady. Then the demand just stopped about a year and a half ago. I believe we had saturated the market of folks with vintage high performance distributors.

It also may have something to do with raising the prices to a level commensurate with my cost. A guy with a spiffy old Mallory or Harmon-Collins will step up, but a guy with a regular distributor is priced out of the market.
Tubman I agree. The hard core folks will step up. The casual person finds an alternative. I'm digressing but this is a valid point that affects our selling of parts, services and cars. Everyone is paying more for gas, groceries and utilities. Discretionary spending is gone.
Old 05-16-2024, 06:30 PM   #14
tubman

If you don't believe the marketplace is changing, consider this : at the Mecum Auction in Indianapolis this week, I saw two "station wagons" sell to the highest bidder. The first was a nice lookin' '55 Nomad that brought a winning bid of $41,000. The second was a 1990 Grand Cherokee Limited that brought... (are you sitting down?) ... $84,000!

I know that you can't judge condition on TV, but on what world is this even possible?
Old 05-17-2024, 07:46 AM   #15
Zax40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post

You aren't planning to get out of the business any time soon are you? I have a vintage Mallory I bought for my Model A i'm planning to go through and use at some point. It's just a little far down on the project list at this point.
Zax40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 07:49 AM   #16
Zax40

The real estate market is causing some of this as well. Several of the local businesses that have been around for a long time in my area are closing because either they rent their building and the rent has risen drastically. Or they own their building and it is desirable to developers who are offering them big money to sell.
Zax40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 08:27 AM   #17
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zax40 View Post
You aren't planning to get out of the business any time soon are you? I have a vintage Mallory I bought for my Model A i'm planning to go through and use at some point. It's just a little far down on the project list at this point.
I will turn 82 next month with arthritis so bad I can no longer do the lathe work that is the main part of making these. I have a partner in this that may or may not continue on with this. The guy is only 76, but is an EE that still does a lot of contract work that is very lucrative, so he only does this when he has time and as a favor to me. At the present time, I have to pay him to do the lathe work and assembly, which accounts for the current high price ($70.00). The only thing I can say for sure is that we currently have 5 left in inventory, and if that gets down to 1 or 2, I'll probably try to talk him into making as many as we now have raw material for, but that will probably be the end.

As to the comment on real estate made by "Zax40", I see that "Red Lobster" announced they were closing 100 locations and may file for bankruptcy this last week. They cite this exact reason for making these moves. The "IHop" in Marathon also shut down abruptly this spring, citing lack of personnel and "real estate issues".
Old 05-18-2024, 09:13 PM   #18
dean333

Send a message via Yahoo to dean333

Seth, I’m the lucky guy to get the ‘33 for $18,5.
Old 05-19-2024, 06:04 AM   #19
TJ

Take a look at the drop in the V-8 Club membership and it tells you everything you need to know about the future of our hobby. Not many young guys are joining the hobby. Take a look at the number of new restorations that show up to V-8 national meets.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 11:47 AM   #20
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean333 View Post
Seth, I’m the lucky guy to get the ‘33 for $18,5.
Dean, treat her well. You did good.