Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-29-2011, 10:23 PM   #1
jbc

Default speedometer noise

i just bought a 1931 deluxe roadster. After driving for about a mile, I started getting a loud noise from what appears to be the speedometer cable. It changes pitch with my speed. Below 20 mph the noise goes away. Above 20 mph the noise returns. I put my hand on the speedometer and I can't feel any vabration, leading me to suspect the cable or drive gear at the torque tube is the problem. any suggestions.
Thanks
jbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:04 PM   #2
ford1

Default Re: speedometer noise

pull and lube the cable use a very lite grease, use just enough to lube the cable to much and it could work its way up to the speedo head and freeze it up, if lubing the cable doesnt stop the noise check for kinked or crushed outer housing, make sure there are not any sharp bends or tight cable clamps pinching the inner cable, if noise is till there my guess is in the speedo head and you will need to have it serviced by some one who knows how to do that
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:37 AM   #3
Geo. H

Default Re: speedometer noise

I had the same problem in my 30 coupe. I tried lubing the cable. Didn't help. I bought a new cable. Didn't help. Figuring nothing ventured, nothing gained, i removed the speedo, and found a round disk sort of like a freeze plug next to where the cable goes in. I dug that out and found lots of hard, cracked grease. I dug that out, filled the cavity with new grease and all's well again.
Geo. H is offline   Reply With Quote