Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-20-2015, 08:56 PM   #41

Default Re: Tudor vs coupe-$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSunoco View Post
The dollar thing with cars is a strange mind set. It seems like most of us Model A owners fret over ROI, can I make a profit? etc. etc. That's natural I guess.

But we will run down to the local car dealer and buy a new pickup and plop down $45,000- $50,000 and not think twice. Some go higher. In 8-10 years that thing is about worn out and has a value around 6 grand, maybe. It's OK in our mind to eat 45K on a new vehicle but not a Model A Ford.

Granted, the Model A will not do what that new pickup can and you're not really comparing apples to apples the point is the money 'lost'.

It has been my experience also the last few years, and I blame the 'reality' TV car shows, EVERYbody and their brother-in-law wants to get your collector car on the cheap, 'flip it' and pocket a big profit, puff out their chests, and proclaim 'I da man ain't I slick?' I get real and I mean real tired of guys approaching me wanting to buy my car so I just toss out absolutely stupid dollars to them, they often get madbut I say 'You came to me I didn't approach you.'

Had this again just last week I just needed to vent Some guy from Missouri driving around with a car hauler a local at the restaurant sent him down to my house. I'd just as soon have the Jehovah Witnesses drop by!!
Very true! I had two friends spend over $40,000 and wait a whole year to get that special Camaro that came out I think 3 years ago, and both sold it less then two years and were told they can only get about $20,000 for it. Another friend had bought a special Ford truck that cost him $85,000 and sold it after two years due to high maintenance costs and I think $500 each tire that wore out after 30,000 miles.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:07 PM   #42
ODFever

This is slightly off topic from the OP's post, but I have to say it. $85K for a PICKUP?!?!? That amount would pay off my mortgage!!!
Most new cars are disposable. They are made of paper thin stamped sheet metal and have airbags to compensate for the lack of structure. I prefer my older vehicles and trucks. I feel a lot safer in them than in a front wheel drive tin can POS.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:24 PM   #43
Hoogah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
When I went to looking, it was either a coupe or a roadster already restored fully or to a point. A Tudor never entered into my mind, just didn't fit into being a chick magnet.
There's way more room in the back of a Tudor than either a roadster or coupe, if you really are a chick magnet!
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:11 PM   #44
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Is not the enjoyment of driving the car around worth something? The honks and smiles as you drive or stop. The stories you hear from others that have, had, or know someone that knows about the Model A. Ever see the smile on the face of a child as he/she sits in the seat and honks the horn?

If you buy a car, restore it and have it sit in the garage, or trailer it to exclusive shows, only to sell it when another car comes around, then yes you need to be concerned about your investment and the profit at the end.

This is not true with my car. The car has "paid" me, every time I get into it for the reasons I mentioned above. If I gave it away, I would still be ahead of the game by having been it's caretaker.

If you sold your A today would you loose money, That depends on you, not the car.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:18 AM   #45
ronn

"But we will run down to the local car dealer and buy a new pickup and plop down $45,000- $50,000 and not think twice. Some go higher. In 8-10 years that thing is about worn out and has a value around 6 grand, maybe. It's OK in our mind to eat 45K on a new vehicle but not a Model A Ford."

I've thought more then twice and ended up keeping my 2000 silverado 4x4 extended cab with 178k miles. I'll just make it reach 300k and save the extra for more model A's.............................!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:55 AM   #46
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteek29 View Post
Either a tudor or a coupe with whitewalls will always bring more (wink).
Sorta related to selling a house, a house might be for sale but is it sellable? Add a standout addition to catch the eye and.................SOLD!!!
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:57 AM   #47
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogah View Post
There's way more room in the back of a Tudor than either a roadster or coupe, if you really are a chick magnet!
When you're the chick magnet behind the wheel, the roadster or the coupe is the tuxedo.
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:11 PM   #48
Cracker39

No two ways about it - my '31 Roadster was a lousy car to take with a date to the drive-in theater in the '50s! I'm sure my generation will understand. On the other hand, it could beat its way through the woods to the beach where few could follow. The Tudor would have had it all! I grew up in Florida before the tourists took over.
Cracker39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:43 PM   #49
Charlie Stephens

I think if we had a better understanding of where you are coming from and where you are going we could fine tune some of the responses. I wouldn't restore either one as investment unless I was starting with one that was almost there already. If you want a stock car as an investment I would say don't do it. The law of supply and demand is why I say this. The people that like the stock Model A's are unfortunately passing on (going to be with Henry). This reduces the demand. The supply is increasing because their cars are now on the market. If you want to restore a car for the enjoyment of it and prefer to choose one that will hold its value better that is another situation. With the cost of restoration just be sure to buy the best car possible after watching the market for a while. I don't see much difference between a coupe and a Tudor sedan, just look for the best car you can find. You should base your decision on what you want to do with the car. The Fordors (except the 1931 slant windows) are less generally desirable because of the amount of wood which is expensive to replace.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 03-21-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:45 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post

I think if we had a better understanding of where you are coming from and where you are going we could fine tune some of the responses. I wouldn't restore either one as investment unless I was starting with one that was almost there already. If you want a stock car as an investment I would say don't do it. The law of supply and demand is why I say this. The people that like the stock Model A's are unfortunately passing on (going to be with Henry). This reduces the demand. The supply is increasing because their cars are now on the market. If you want to restore a car for the enjoyment of it and prefer to choose one that will hold its value better that is another situation. With the cost of restoration just be sure to buy the best car possible after watching the market for a while. I don't see much difference between a coupe and a Tudor sedan, just look for the best car you can find. You should base your decision on what you want to do with the car. The Fordors (except the 1931 slant windows) are less generally desirable because of the amount of wood which is expensive to replace.

Charlie Stephens
Not doing it for an investment Charlie, Iam doing it cause its history, I just don't want to put much into a car that no one wants, like when I first restored a 1939 ford standard to totally original and found out that no one wants four doors. I have a 1929 Coupe, I found out from the responses that its not, so I will raise the budget.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:58 PM   #51
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Wow, I dunno if THAT is an accurate statement! The last I checked, the Hebmuller is an air-cooled Volkswagen, ...and they were fetching on the upper side of $150k! That seems like a pretty decent ROI!!

Even some of the air-cooled Kombi Transporters (Bus) fetch more money than an average 68C or a 180A. Price a restored 'barn-door' and see how much they will set you back. Now isn't it ironic the restored Type III Stationwagons will bring more than a typical Model-A Tudor, ...and the split Type 1 --and earlier V-dubs bring better than $25k with some busting the $50k mark. Seems like those are a decent ROI too. Maybe you were referring a Super Beetle with that $$ thingie!

BTW, below is a 1950 split we are doing a full frame-up on for a customer out of Kansas City.

IMHO a VW bug is a horrible driving and maintaining car. I had one, a 62, when they were a poor used car. Forget about any heat other than burning your foot. Air conditioning? Dream on. It is not by accident when they quit making them they disappeared from the road in a few years. I was forever changing oil(500 miles) or adjusting valves(1,000 miles). Never heard one run down the road that didn't need the valves adjusted. I have no nostalgia for bugs if you haven't guessed. Oh, and the buses? Never owned on but road in a few. Expect to be passed by city buses and rear ended on the freeway. Think twice as heavy car as a bug which already has pathetic acceleration for scooting down the road. Just remembered, no gas gauge either.

Last edited by mrtexas; 03-21-2015 at 09:09 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:30 AM   #52
oldwoodsman

Quote:
When I went to looking, it was either a coupe or a roadster already restored fully or to a point. A Tudor never entered into my mind, just didn't fit into being a chick magnet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogah View Post
Quote:
When you're the chick magnet behind the wheel, the roadster or the coupe is the tuxedo.
At this age bracket they are called hens not chicks.
oldwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:06 AM   #53
ronn

nah old, they're cougars....................................
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:41 AM   #54
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1929 View Post
Not doing it for an investment Charlie, Iam doing it cause its history, I just don't want to put much into a car that no one wants, like when I first restored a 1939 ford standard to totally original and found out that no one wants four doors. I have a 1929 Coupe, I found out from the responses that its not, so I will raise the budget.
Building a driver instead of doing a restoration might be a good solution.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:59 PM   #55
DougVieyra

Ronn (post # 53) apparently 'gets around' a bit . . . . .

Having just learned the meaning of this term ("Cougar"), I can now translate it's meaning :
. . . . an older woman (40, 50, 60, 70, or as in my wife, 86) who 'preys' on younger men (I am 73).
They still have the 'hunting' instinct and are fully 'alive' as a woman. She wants the back seat, but my bones, cartilage, and hormones, wants to rest with a beer and a football game . . . .
So the Coupe works just fine with me. At 27, I wanted (and had) a Deluxe '31 Roadster. And I knew how to pull the shift lever UP and turn it over to the side, for some "leg action". Now I don't have the strength to pull it up . . . .
Wife just came in . . . . . I have to go now.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #56
Anteek29

Doug's post (#55) made me chuckle...I can relate
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:39 AM   #57
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteek29 View Post
Doug's post (#55) made me chuckle...I can relate

Me too!! THAT'S funny Doug

MrTexas, I never owned a VW never wanted one but your observations are exactly correct. I just had a 'VW' conversation two weeks ago with a very good friend who is an expert mechanic and this subject came up. He told me 'People who drove those things over 40-45MPH had to plan on an entire engine rebuild every 20,000 miles because that crap engine couldn't hold up to that.' (His exact words) He also pointed out 'IF they were that good of a car and they built so many how come you never see them around? Not like Model A Fords my God I can tell you of a dozen of them still running around within 10 miles of where we stand and they're over 80 years old!!!'

Case closed
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote