Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
huddy

Default Crank misaligned with FAM

Hi,

I *think* I have this figured out, but I wanted to be sure before I do something stupid.

I am trying to get the timing correct on my '30 Coupe (it was not running right, points were way off, and the distributor body had a lot of play, etc. The car has sat for over three years). Anyway, I can't adjust the crankshaft position to accomplish the timing, since I cannot engage the crank nut through the crank hole - the crank is hitting the bottom edge of the crank nut. The front of the engine is too high by maybe 3/8" or so.

The Coupe is equipped with Float-A-Motor aluminum motor mounts in the rear. The thick rubber pads are on the bottom, and it appears that having thinner ones would only make the problem worse, as lowering the rear of the engine would raise the crank nut even higher. I'd prefer not to mess with the rear engine mounts if it can be avoided.

It appears that I could tighten the front engine mount bolt - it looks like there's enough space in the spring to do that.

What I want to know, is this: am I approaching this right? Have I missed something? Will tightening the front mount cause me more problems?

Thanks
Ed