Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
VeryTangled

Default '36 Coil Puked

Hi All, At the Auburn EFV8 we took our car on 'Tour D.' It was a warm but not really hot day. When leaving the next to last stop our car was being a little grumpy, quite out of place as it usually runs like a top. It kicked over and started and immediately quit. Did that about four times, then wouldn't start at all. We thought vapor lock, something I, as a newbie, had heard of but never experienced. I only have about six hundred miles behind the wheel of a flattie.

We put some cool rags on the fuel line, waited ten minutes, poured some gas into the carb, and got it running. (Like dummies we didn't notice the spray can of starting fluid behind the back seat until we got back home.) It ran fine the three or four miles over to the last tour stop. When we departed the last stop we coasted down a hill and it started fine, and ran great for about a half mile. Then it started to sputter, still sorta feeling like a fuel delivery issue. It felt like it was hitting on about half of the cylinders. At about five miles from the last stop it just quit and we coasted to the side of the road.

After a little head scratching I spied the coil, see photos. I was actually a little glad to see it because I figured we'd found the issue. Like good 'be prepared' boy scouts, we had parts and tools with us. About thirty minutes later, with some kind help from Ken Bounds (I hope I got that right, he has a really fine Crestliner) and his lovely companion, we had a new coil in place and she fired up right away on the first crank.

WV Cecil told us later on that he'd heard coils are sorta legendary for giving a fuel-like symptom.

The story has a happy ending (except for a the grease I got on my new pants), but I thought I throw this out for discussion so I might become more educated. Has anyone ever seen something like this before? Thanks in advance for your contributions.

One other thing, we've decided to add a stubby ratcheting 1/2 inch wrench to the tool kit because the coil has a grounding tab that is attached with one of the distributor bolts and most of the time was spent wrestling with that bolt. I'd used one of those wrenches when JM 35 Sedan and Dad and I worked on an acquaintance's '36 distributor problem, and it was a real time-saver.

-VeryTangled/Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Puked Coil 1.jpg (35.2 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg Puked Coil 2.jpg (42.1 KB, 194 views)
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote