Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2023, 08:37 AM   #1
8EL

Default Ford Lockheed (1) Brake Adjustment Aid?

What do you guys think if machining a .625" - .750" hole in the face of the brake drum in line (circumference) with the end of the shoe contact face. This would allow viewing from the front of the drum while installed to witness the brake shoe contact with the drum. It could be rotated then to observe the contact along the full peripheral of the shoe, making the shoe adjustments quite simple, and accurate. This would greatly simplify, I believe, setting up the eccentric adjusters on 39-41 types. The 42-48 types are simpler to adjust so this may not be deemed as useful as the previous type, but it would still make this adjustment procedure much quicker and accurate.

For this to work, new linings, or all having the same thickness, and the drum inner diameter the same on all drums would be necessary. In my case, new linings (shoes) and drums are being installed. This would require only machining one drum, as it could be used as a standard gage on the other three.

When all wheels were set up, the hole could be plugged with 100% silicone caulk to hold off water and dirt if that would be an issue. I remember on Bendix brakes there was a oval knock out in either the drum face or backing plate for adjusting the star wheel. This hole in the backing plate sometimes had a rubber plug installed, but most of them were just a hole....didn't seem to hurt anything....
8EL is offline   Reply With Quote