Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
petew

Default Modified Banger Questions

I have a 1929 A motor in my 27 T hot rod. The motor has been modified as follows...
Counterweights on the crank, insert bearings, full pressure oiling system , aluminum head and a 40lb flywheel.
The car is a blast to drive but the rear main leaks like mad . I took the car for a 10 mile ride tonight and when I shut it off oil flowed from the hole at the bottom of the flywheel housing as if a faucet had been turned on.
Now I just resealed this motor and it probably has a grand total of 15 miles on it. The seal didn't leak a drop at first but it sure does now.
The crank was modified (slinger removed) and the rear seal is one of those rubber o ring style jobs.
My question is where do I go from here ? I have heard more bad than good about that o ring style seal and would like to know what my options might be.
Has anyone ever used a rope seal on one of these engines ?
I bought the car with the engine in it and it came to me with the modifications I described . There was excessive end play in the crank so I took it apart to get the thrust surfaces straightened out. The end play is within spec now and I put a new rear main seal in before buttoning it up.
So what seal should I use to plug this leak ?
petew is offline   Reply With Quote