Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-24-2023, 07:43 PM   #1
Fairlanephantom

Default Replacing motor mounts in a 56 passenger car

Hello everyone,

I have a 56 Fairlane Town Sedan with a 292 and I'm changing the transmission mount, while I'm at it I want to replace the motor mounts as they may be original and are looking flaky.

The manual seems to only cover pulling the engine from the car. They also note that pulling with the transmission in one piece with the engine isn't advised and to remove the two separately.

I don't seem to find any previous posts of anyone changing the motor mounts while still staying stock, mostly part of compatible mounts for an engine swap to a larger engine.

The closest I can find reference to this setup is someone changing mounts on an FE motor on later trucks where the perches are still sitting in a V configuration and lift one side at a time at the oil pan and a block of wood. I've tried from the center of the pan as well as on the passenger side, but I don't seem to get enough lift to clear the studs. The mounts are currently unbolted on the engine side.

Looking around I don't seem to see where the interference would be including in the transmission tunnel.

I also have the radiator out as the damper will come next as it seems to also be original. It looked like the radiator would have interfered with the steady rest in the front.

Has anyone else tackled changing the motor mounts in a stock setup? I'm not sure what seems to be getting in the way as the transmission/motor mounts are not bolted in, steady rest in the front is clear, radiator hoses are not connected and shift and throttle linkage are out of the way.
Fairlanephantom is offline   Reply With Quote