Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-2022, 10:46 PM   #1
Billyo194

Default New to FORD BARN - 1st question

Hello everyone, what an incredible find this site is.
Excited new owner of 1930 Model A recently inherited from my wife’s side. She remembers riding in it early 1980’s as a young lass. Then it was parked in a cement floor pole barn since then and never moved or touched. It looks to be in great shape considering. It was trailered to my pole barn and I’m excited to join the FORD BARN to learn more about what I need to do and in what order. I’ve ordered Les Andrews book and hope it comes soon!!! Not looking to make this show quality, but going to really enjoy driving around town with it.
The first thing I think I should do before getting the Les Andrews book is to get something in the spark plug holes and try to turn it over every couple weeks while I play with other things like getting the gas tank and seats out and cleaned up.
I do want to drop the pan and get eyes in there before I go about trying to really see if it will start.
SO MY VERY FIRST QUESTION FOR THE GROUP IS:
Should I put something down the spark plugs and would it be a shot glass amount of marvel mystery oil or automatic transmission fluid? Could I then pull on the fan and see if it will roll over? Maybe do this a couple times over the next few weeks before having a buddy who knows a bit more about compression see if this is seized?
Billyo194 is offline   Reply With Quote