Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2022, 09:35 AM   #1
WallaceHardware

Exclamation Carburetor mating surfaces

Hello, my name is Tyler, I work at Wallace Hardware in OCNJ, and here in our store, we have a 1929 ford model a pickup that has been with the store for nearly 80 years. The truck had not run in around 4 to 5 years, and a few months ago, me and a coworker began tinkering with it to get it to fire up. We replaced the rotor, ignition coil, plugs, and plug connectors. After this and a decent amount of starting fluid, the truck ran on it's own, but we noticed that it was leaking fuel from the carburetor, so we proceeded to order a rebuild kit and remove it. Yesterday we began the process of reassembling the carburetor. While we were putting it back together, I noticed that the two major halves of the carburetor did not meet flush when reassembled. I looked at the new seal/gasket that was sent with it, and it was slightly thinner than the previous one that was removed, but there were major gaps when attempting to reassemble it, and it got to a point where I realized that it simply was not going back together at that moment. My question is, are most of these carbs like this due to the machinery in 1929 not being very exact, or has my carb been warped and I need a new one? If I don't need a new one, how do I go about filling these gaps where the 2 halves meet, they were about 3 mm. Thank you to anyone who can help
WallaceHardware is offline   Reply With Quote