Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-08-2021, 08:32 AM   #1
jharrellh

Default Flywheel Housing Check

Good day all! My '29 roadster has had some pretty severe clutch chatter in 1st and reverse and a slight vibration since I have owned it. Ordered a long feeler gauge to check the finger adjustment, but planning for worst-case to pull the rear end and transmission to inspect things and replace the clutch...car was restored in the early 80's and I have heard some repro parts at the time were of dubious quality? While I am in there, I am wondering if it is possible/accurate to do a quick check of the clutch housing alignment with the engine in the car? Plan would be to have a helper turn the crankshaft with the starting crank while applying inward pressure to take up the endplay while checking runout at 9-12-3. I realize any shimming is a different ballgame, and I would pull the engine for that, but is it possible to measure in this fashion to hopefully rule out the housing as part of the problem? FYI, I have checked motor mounts and adjustments and replaced the front springs with good quailty.

Very new to A's, so please forgive me if I am overlooking something obvious!
jharrellh is offline   Reply With Quote