Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2021, 10:53 AM   #1
Greg Jones

Default Oil Pump Question

I have a newly rebuilt stock engine block and re-used a fairly new oil pump. Got it all together and checked the oil pressure (it's a stock, non-pressurized system) and using a 0-15 psi gage, the oil pressure pegged the gage. Normally at cold start up you should see about 5 psi and as the engine warms up the pressure drops. Yeah, I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the oil pump as I have always regarded them as bullet proof. Time for me to rethink that thinking.

So...I have discussed this with my engine builder, and he has suggested some things. I thought I would toss this out to the crowd and see if anyone has experienced such a thing and what did they do about it.

I am of the mindset there is a restriction someplace creating an orifice effect and raising the pressure. I have not dropped the pan yet since my shop is freezing cold at the moment (hey, I'm 64 give me a break!) but will this coming week.

The engine started knocking which I think may have actually been moving the oil pump drive gear upwards, enough to get things out of place enough to make a noise.

My engine builder, a reputable guy, mentioned being sure there was a gasket in the bottom plate of the oil pump. Anyway, just asking if anyone else has come across this problem.
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote