Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-03-2018, 01:04 PM   #1
Ron Pilger

Default my experience buying from Howells Sheet Metal

I am not a complainer by nature. To get positive action, I tend to try to kill with kindness versus ranting and raving. Having said this, I feel that I have to share Fordbarners my experience buying from Howells Sheet Metal in Beaumont, Texas. I had done my homework on this company before buying replacement sheet metal parts for my 36 3W restoration project. While there were glowing testimonials I also found an uncomfortable number of "red flags" relating to fit quality of parts but mostly to reasonable service levels from the company. I gambled with an order in early June. I was charged $921.28 US$ ($1227.86 Canadian) for the parts order on my Visa card,on June 7th. The sealed cartons arrived in Alberta within the week. Good service.

Absent, but paid for, was a set of door bottoms. I called the company numerous times. No answer. No return of voice mails. No return of emails either. Now a big problem: My Visa card showed a duplicate charge of $921.28 (with currency fluctuations this time the charge in Canadian dollars was $1239.38 Canadian $). This transaction went through on July 9th. So now, i have two charges for the same goods and still no door bottoms.

After weeks of trying I managed to get a staffer one early morning on a call and eventually spoke to the company owner. The missing door bottoms would be coming my way. Whew! Thought the problem was solved. Door bottoms arrived yesterday, August 1st.

The problem is that Howell's have not credited my Visa card for the redundant billing. I've done everything i can to try to reach the company. Phone calls, voice mails, emails. In complete frustration this morning, i contacted the fraud department at Visa. Ball is in their court. Howells is off my list of companies i will conduct business with.
Ron Pilger is offline   Reply With Quote