Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
RBaker

Default 1938 Ford truck distributor

Hi,
Been working on getting this old engine running for a couple of weeks....engine turns over great....about 90lbs of pressure in each cylinder.

My problem is this weird distributor.....I removed it, cleaned the points, new condenser, set points to .15 etc...put it back on and can get spark on the right side points when I turn the engine clockwise with a wrench on the flywheel.....but the left side points will not spark unless I turn the engine counter clockwise.

When I say right side I mean when I'm looking at the front of the engine.

Is it possible when I replaced the distributor I put it in completely opposite of how it came out?....I did not mark the distributor when I removed it so I guess I messed up the timing?

I did not turn the motor over with the distributor removed.

This is an early 38 with the 21 stud motor....Eggshell or helmet distributor from what I have found online.

This is how it looked when I got it....it has been cleaned up since then.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1324.JPG (115.1 KB, 573 views)
RBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
RBaker

Default Re: 1938 Ford truck distributor

I guess one of my questions is....are both points suppose to spark when they open when the engine is turned over?
Old 08-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
Hoop

This is a great question! It's like trying to figure out if the light in the refrigerator goes out when you close the door ...

First, orientation. The "right-side" of the engine is the is on the right when you are sitting at the steering wheel ... in the USA, the passenger side.

The engine rotates clockwise when viewed from the front of the engine.

The "left-side" points in the distributor break and fire the plugs. The right-side points close the circuit (or open the circuit depending on which circuit you're talking about) and don't fire anything ... turning the engine backwards just confuses me so we'll ignore that, at least for now.

Also, ignore what you are seeing in the distributor. Attach the spark plugs and ground them to the block. Turn the engine clockwise and check to see if the plugs fire.

The distributor is designed to go back onto the engine correctly even if you've spun the engine. The tab on the back is offset to match the offset in the slot. You can TRY to mount it 180 degrees out, BUT you're going to break something. Just be careful that it all lines up.

Don't give up on the original distributor. It's a good unit.

Post back your findings. (Don't get your nose caught in the refrigerator door ... )

Last edited by Hoop; 08-09-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
RBaker

Thank you Hoop!

Yeah when I start playing with something new it always get me curious as to how the darn thing works.....I agree forget about why I turned the engine over backwards..haha.

Sitting in the driver seat yes those left side points do spark.....so the no spark on the right points is normal.

I admit I was confused but I swear things will look better for me sooner or later.....just glad I found a forum where some folks can help me.

This is a pic of the old truck I'm working on.....I have removed everything but the cab....the engine and trans seem to be in pretty good shape..I'm at the point where I need to get it running....just rebuilt the starter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1306.JPG (166.1 KB, 76 views)
Old 08-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
Sid the Maineiac

Good luck with your project! It looks pretty much complete and that is a real plus!
Sid the Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
01aford

Nice looking stock brown coil.
01aford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
RBaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid the Maineiac View Post
Good luck with your project! It looks pretty much complete and that is a real plus!
Thanks....only thing missing is the tailgate.

I also have a question about the trans.....would it be a 4 speed? It has a switch as if it would have a 2 speed rear.

The number on the housing is 51-7006.....other side is a 78C stamp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1331.JPG (87.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 08-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #8
82ndscotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBaker View Post
I guess one of my questions is....are both points suppose to spark when they open when the engine is turned over?
no one opens circuit the other closes it (to give you more dwell) Scotty
82ndscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #9
RBaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82ndscotty View Post
no one opens circuit the other closes it (to give you more dwell) Scotty
Thanks, that confused me for several days until I joined this site yesterday....what a relief.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #10
billwill

[QUOTE=RBaker;58850]I guess one of my questions is....are both points suppose to spark when they open when the engine is turned overthe dis will go in one wayonly
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #11
RBaker

[QUOTE=billwill;63408]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBaker View Post
I guess one of my questions is....are both points suppose to spark when they open when the engine is turned overthe dis will go in one wayonly
Thanks Bill I got that figured out finally, haha
Old 08-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #12
Tinker

Thanks and I'm a long way from finishing. A lot of body work needs to be done. Farm truck.

The 4 speed is still only 1:1 in 4th gear. You'll probably only use 1st (granny gear) for pulling stumps out. I start off in 2nd. Also the rear is probably 4:11 gears as well.

Your truck, as mentioned, looks pretty complete. Have fun.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #13
Hoop

Some folks have had less than complimentary things to say about the looks of the "barrel-nosed" '38 and 39 PU's. BUT, with good paint ... maybe even some two-tone work ... the truck turns beautiful. And, it has a decent mechanical base.

Shoulda kept my '39.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #14
RBaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Thanks and I'm a long way from finishing. A lot of body work needs to be done. Farm truck.

The 4 speed is still only 1:1 in 4th gear. You'll probably only use 1st (granny gear) for pulling stumps out. I start off in 2nd. Also the rear is probably 4:11 gears as well.

Your truck, as mentioned, looks pretty complete. Have fun.
Thanks....if I have any more issues I know who to ask since you are well on your way with yours.
I have not found much online about these trucks at all.....you guys have told me more in 30 minutes than I found online in a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
Some folks have had less than complimentary things to say about the looks of the "barrel-nosed" '38 and 39 PU's. BUT, with good paint ... maybe even some two-tone work ... the truck turns beautiful. And, it has a decent mechanical base.

Shoulda kept my '39.
I have a neighbor who is about 75 he said the 38 & 39 trucks were the ugliest Ford ever made....I laughed and said maybe thats why the farmer tucked it away in the corner of his barn for 40 years.

He sent me to a guys house that is suppose to be the "flathead king" around here but in a nutshell he had never seen this type of particular flathead & distributor. The modern day mechanics I know had no idea about it either.

I only wish it had a 24 stud motor.....from what I read online the early 38 models came with this 21 stud.

Back out to the garage....thanks for the help!
Old 08-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #15
Mike in AZ

hmmm....if he's a "flathead king" and has never seen a distributor like yours, you might want to think about his title again....that distributor was used from '32-'41 with a few modifications thru those years, but basically the same....otherwise, have fun with your truck....looks pretty solid....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:28 AM   #16
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
hmmm....if he's a "flathead king" and has never seen a distributor like yours, you might want to think about his title again....that distributor was used from '32-'41 with a few modifications thru those years, but basically the same....otherwise, have fun with your truck....looks pretty solid....Mike
I would agree with your statement on the so called king. MOO. ken ct
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:30 AM   #17
RBaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
Thanks Mike.....it is fun to tinker with.

The guy was actually born in 1938 same year as my truck.....if it were not for his health and age he said he would love to have it.

He has two ford flatheads....one is a V8 car with the crab style distributor the other is a later model truck with the Flathead 6 cylinder. He had some good info and advice but not like I found here on this website.

A lot of people around here have old fords but he is the only one that retained the flathead engines......everyone else replaced the flatheads with modern engines.

I'm just happy I found out yesterday that my distributor is working properly....will work on it a little more this morning before we get the 100 degree heat.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #18
RBaker

Good news to report......I took the advice of Hoop and put half of the distributor back on then inserted one plug wire.

Got my new starter on and connected the 6 volt battery.....turns over real nice!

I cleaned the little copper terminals inside the distributor cap and the terminals on the rotor to a shiny finish....hoop said use a spark pug grounded to the block but I figured what the heck I will just hold it in my hand.

Connected a wire to the coil then tapped the starter while holding the bare plug wire in my hand.....the pain I felt was not a "bad pain" but the pain of happiness.

The old truck was telling me....."Hey Stupid, I'm still living now let go of that wire dummy".

Also got my new fuel pump on...carb is cleaned and ready to go.

Need to order some new plug wires now and get some new plugs...getting close to starting it up.

Few pics but so humid here the camera fogged up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1346.JPG (106.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1347.JPG (82.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1348.JPG (92.9 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1353.JPG (83.8 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1354.JPG (57.5 KB, 57 views)
Old 08-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #19
Tinker

Yes my understanding on the early 38' 21 bolts are that Ford was using up the last of the 37' blocks before switching over. If your going to keep it stock it's a great engine. 99% of people have no idea whether its a 21 or a 24. They just smile.

It is hard to find hop-up heads but, IMO, trucks look best with the stock heads and some green engine paint.

I'll help if I can. Still learning myself.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #20
Hoop

"I only wish it had a 24 stud motor.....from what I read online the early 38 models came with this 21 stud. "

Noooooooooooooooo. The 21 stud is great. Mostly used in '37, it holds a special spot in the development of the flathead. I really like '37s especially because they have the unique 21 stud with insert bearings. I actually have a freshly rebuilt '37 21 stud out in the shop and rub my hand over it each time I walk by it.

I'm glad you showed up here ... we'll get you straightened out.

Forget (that's not what the Soprano's say) the 24 stud. Embrace your 21 and its distributor. You are doing OK.