Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2012, 03:53 AM   #1
Terry, NJ

Default I've got issues, Man, Have I got isues!

Nothing someone familiar with mod As can't solve but I don't know anyone who is so endowed.
Body/wooden frame fit/dimensions problems/questions
Starter problems Armature or windings?
Paint preparation/ body work Etc, Etc, Etc
Seats/upholstery

Nothing significant is boing done on this car as of now. Just piddling little work. Is there anyone in the Quakertown Pa area who can help?
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: I've got issues, Man, Have I got isues!

Terry, start by making a written task list outlining what tasks need to get accomplished. Get very detailed. Don't just say rebuild rear axle assy. List each operation out (Disassembly, Clean parts, Inspect, Order parts, Install Bearings, Install Seals, etc...) You need something that shows accountability to yourself of the task you are to do when you walk into the garage, and a roadmap showing what you have accomplished when you leave. A 5-course dinner is a lot of food when someone first sits down at the table, but small bites taken persistantly soon finds all those plates are clean. <Burb!>

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
Steve Wastler

Brent has the wisdom of 'been there done that', enought to sink a ship, most likely. Follow his advise, the nice thing about a model A, when broken down from assemblies to sub assemblies, to sub - sub assemblies it is much less intimidating.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
Modelakid31

Send a message via AIM to Modelakid31

Brent, that is exactly what I did and it worked great for me!

Take Brent's advice.
Modelakid31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Terry, start by making a written task list outlining what tasks need to get accomplished. Get very detailed. Don't just say rebuild rear axle assy. List each operation out (Disassembly, Clean parts, Inspect, Order parts, Install Bearings, Install Seals, etc...) You need something that shows accountability to yourself of the task you are to do when you walk into the garage, and a roadmap showing what you have accomplished when you leave. A 5-course dinner is a lot of food when someone first sits down at the table, but small bites taken persistantly soon finds all those plates are clean. <Burb!>

Very good advice with out a plan you will go know where.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Nothing someone familiar with mod As can't solve but I don't know anyone who is so endowed.
Body/wooden frame fit/dimensions problems/questions
Starter problems Armature or windings?
Paint preparation/ body work Etc, Etc, Etc
Seats/upholstery

Nothing significant is boing done on this car as of now. Just piddling little work. Is there anyone in the Quakertown Pa area who can help?
Terry
It is like eating a elephant you have to eat it one bite at a time. If you try to think about every thing at one time you will be over come.
Do like Brent says that will work. If you get stuck along the way ask about what you are stuck on at that time.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
Terry, NJ

The problem is some of us are more organised than others! I am at the lowest end of that scale! You are correct. Organization is the answer. I like the idea of accountability to oneself. But I fear the organization of the the essentials. Fortunately, I have 95% of the chassis work done. I would have started the car a while ago except the rebuilt starter crapped out. New brushes etc, However, There seems to be a "open" or a short, either in the windings or the armature. I'm not astute enough electricaly to know which. I've been over the armature with an ohm meter- Results are inconclusive because I don't know which are supposed to have continuity and which shouldn't. I haven't worked with this stuff in thirty years and I had a stroke between then and now. I simply don't know! I think I need help with this!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post

Old 02-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
Tacoma Bob

Terry, I agree with Brent and the others. I may add too, that you need to explore what you want the car to do. What I mean is the end result. Do want a a safe Sunday go to baskin and robbins ride, A touring ride or a fine pointer. Next find a mentor ONE maybe TWO guys you can trust. Anymore than that and you will find yourself "dealing by committee '' . Once you have the goals outlined then the action plan including budget will get you on your way.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
jan bogert

hi i'm in whitehall,pa. by the L.V.I.AIRPORT. i belong to the model a club of the L.Valley. whats up? JAN
jan bogert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
Cool Hand Lurker

"No job is too big if you break it into smaller parts."
Henry Ford
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
Dave72dt

2 things you can do. Start with a list of what needs to be done to finish the chassis. Only 5% left. Finish that area. Next, start a thread on the starter. Throw a few photos in so everybody is on the same page and we can walk you through the testing.
Dave72dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I would would pay for a chart of all the operations and the perfered order necessary in restoring a model A.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #13
Terry, NJ

Mike, That's a great Idea! However, People like me would say, Ahh what's the big deal? I can do this! With all due respect to Brent Terry, He's running a business and does this all the time. It pays! I've been to his site a few times and seen what he does and I wish I could assemble the drawings and dimensions of every model of mod.A and the processes to complete complete a project of this size. I'm still trying to get the little nails out of the strip (zinc?) that hold the roof material on. Most are heavily rusted in place. I'm saturating them with WD 40 type solutions. They still remain in place! I delivered the starter to the rebuilder yesterday. I fear what this will cost on top of one rebuild. Oh well, It's only money! Thanks for the reply!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
I would would pay for a chart of all the operations and the perfered order necessary in restoring a model A.