Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
IRMB

Default wheel/tire size and clearance on 58 wagon

Hey Guys,

I need to replace my wheels and tires, badly. I just got this car a month or so ago and have been fixing it up.

It'll be ready for a road test in the next week or so.

The tires that came on it aren't even "rollers." They are shot.

It seems like clearance on this car is really tight.

Removing the passenger side rear tire - I actually had to remove all the air from the tire and pry it out.

And this wasn't even that wide of a tire.

Do you guys have experience with Custom 300's, Ranchero's and Ranch wagon from this era (1957-'59) and what size wheels/tires have you had success with?

I'd like to go with a little bit bigger wheels than stock (15" or 16") and a little wider than stock (205'ish). But I don't want it so tight the wheels wont come out.

Thanks!
IRMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
Motorhead6

Default Re: wheel/tire size and clearance on 58 wagon

Try lifting the entire rear end and let the axle drop straight down level with the body. If that doesn't work, try longer shocks.
Motorhead6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
41ford1

Rear tire removal was always a scary proposition with a bumper jack. The body needs to be jacked up high enough so the tire and wheel assembly can drop straight down to clear the fender. I use a 6" wood block and a floor jack on the '53 Courier. No way will I use a bumper jack. The later years are very similar since they have skirted style fenders. I am running 215-70-15s on 15x6 rims on the Courier. These are a tight fit but they work.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
JeffB2

The real issue with 50's Fords is the wheel offset the 52-54's are about the worst for rear wheel clearance,the 15" wheels used on 90's Crown Vics with a 5 on 4 1/2'' bolt (114.3 cm metric)pattern have a more positive offset, should you decide to do a disc brake upgrade you will want them anyway,stock tire was a 215/70R15 you could also use a 225/65/15 which is almost 9" wide but about an inch shorter than the OEM tire that came on your Ford.You might take a trip to your local Pik-A-Part and get a tire and wheel for a trial fit probably set you back $25 or check your local craigslist for "parting out Crown Vic". For more 50's Fords help stop by here:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/g...hp?groupid=332
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
Frankenstein57

My 58 ranchero has 15" explorer wheels with 215x65x15's, no problems. The wheels are plentifull from partouts, the tires were popular on minivans, which are being parted out often. I just took delivery of a new set of wheels, but these worked fine for a couple years, Mark
Frankenstein57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 02:43 AM   #6
Jwawhite

Thinking of this post while removing my rear oversized from width stock wheels on my 56 Ford Wagon. Don't have the tire size handy
The differential had to hang down along with raising the rear of the body enough to: remove the lug nuts and push the bottom of the wheel towards centerline of car. Top of wheel pops out.
My differential has a sway bar which is attached to the frame and new leaf springs, your axle may hang lower.
Jwawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:58 PM   #7
bobss396

Gawd this is an old thread....

I have a '59, 215/75-15 up front on 6" wheels, 235/75-15 out back. The fronts will rub on tight turns sometimes, like going up driveways. The disc conversion may have shot them out a little.

The rears I can get on and off if I let the rear axle hang. One side is tighter than the other, suspect the body is shoved over about a 1/2". It tracks straight on a "follow me" check.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 01:39 PM   #8
Jwawhite

My tires are 205/70R15 all around, on 8 inch? Wide rims.
The right rear wheel is just a bit closer to the body but also appears to track straight from a "follow me" look see.
The right rear tire touches the install bar of the body wheel opening covers on rare occasions.
Jwawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:03 AM   #9
JimNNN

On my '54 wagon I unbolt the rear shocks to get the rear radial tires off the car. Wheels are original though, and I never have any issues with tires scrapping against the fenders. I don't rotate the tires but once every several years, given the low miles I put on them.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote