Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
firechief5215

Default Powerhouse generator

I have a early 28 , I am replacing the generator that is on it with a Powerhouse generator that is suppose to be on it. Does someone have some pictures of a powerhouse mounted correctly . It appears that I need a spacer or something to put on the bottom mounting bracket to get it to line up with the belt. Also would like to know the correct size mounting nuts, washers, flat lock or both Thanks Billy
firechief5215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:13 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Powerhouse generator

The first two pictures show the powerhouse you should have and the tension strap, as well as the large bolt and lock washer to mount the powerhouse. This is a June 1928 car pulled from the woods about 5 years ago.

The third picture shows the same generator after I sandblasted it. Also notice it still has the original hand full of grease on the bearings and shaft. All powerhouse generators should have a gasket under the mounting bracket and under the side mount bracket.

The fourth picture shows the bolt and lock washer as well as the leather washer that goes between the strap and bracket. Also notice the factory staking of the screws, so they don't come loose. A few powerhouse generators didn't get staked for some reason.

The last picture shows the strap and special bolt that goes into the timing cover on the front of the engine. The late 5 brush powerhouse and all of the 3 brush powerhouse didn't have the side mount and tension bracket.

This powerhouse has a side mounted cutout, but you could have either since the blueprints and release letters indicated Ford switch back and forth on the location between the top and side. When the 3 brush powerhouse came out late in 1928, then the cutout was always on the top.

No spacers are used to mount the generator. How early is your car?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Powerhouse June 1928.jpg (87.6 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg Powerhouse June 1928b.jpg (59.0 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Powerhouse June 1928j.jpg (65.1 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Powerhouse June 1928t.jpg (55.9 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg Powerhouse June 1928 Tension Bracket.jpg (32.8 KB, 90 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:23 AM   #3
firechief5215

I will get pictures tonight , My engine number makes it late February which is the only number we can locate.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:48 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

You would have a cadmium plated rear cover then. They are hard to find, but I've seen a couple.
You can also buy an excellent repro rear cover in cad, plain, or painted black.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
firechief5215

I posted 2 pictures of the generator partially installed. If you look at the first picture at the threaded end of the hose clamp you will see there is a space between the generator bracket and the mount on the engine , It appears that I need that much space for the belt to line up correctly.This is the area where I thought maybe a spacer was suppose to be . The 2nd picture is the fan side of my generator , is the long stud installed in the correct hole. Thank you for all your help Billy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0073.JPG (67.8 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0075.JPG (60.2 KB, 79 views)
Old 05-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Do you have the tension strap?
Do you have the "SERVICE BULLETINS? I think they show the early style mounting and strap, or maybe it was the "RESTORATION GUIDLINES".
The bolt and lock washer should pull the mounting bracket tight to the mount on the front cover without any spacer.

BTW, you have the wrong steel lower water pipe. Bert's might have a good original, or you can also buy a repro, but make sure it's for the 28-9 style radiator.

Also the screws for the clamps should be located on the outside of the pipe (hood side).
Old 05-15-2014, 06:46 PM   #7
Joe K

Quote:
BTW, you have the wrong steel lower water pipe. Bert's might have a good original, or you can also buy a repro, but make sure it's for the 28-9 style radiator.
That could be a "powerhouse pipe" or a "long generator pipe" choice? - at least that was the option that Tam presented to me. He explained that the lesser curve long generator pipe will not really clear the powerhouse (leading to issues with the clamps as we've seen) but that the powerhouse pipe has a deeper curve and clears.

Heh. I'm now retrogressing back to a Powerhouse on my truck, and the long pipe will go on the "next" model A project.

Joe K
Old 05-15-2014, 07:03 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
That could be a "powerhouse pipe" or a "long generator pipe" choice? - at least that was the option that Tam presented to me. He explained that the lesser curve long generator pipe will not really clear the powerhouse (leading to issues with the clamps as we've seen) but that the powerhouse pipe has a deeper curve and clears.

Heh. I'm now retrogressing back to a Powerhouse on my truck, and the long pipe will go on the "next" model A project.

Joe K
That's a common misconception about the pipe being for the generator. It definately is for the radiator, since the 28-9 radiator bottom outlet points outward and slightly down, the pipe must be bent to match.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:46 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Here's a picture of the correct pipe for all original 28-9 radiators.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G36.jpg (77.9 KB, 92 views)
Old 05-15-2014, 08:28 PM   #10
firechief5215

I have the strap but now I have read there is a short strap and a longer strap not sure which one I need, Is there anyone selling the leather washers. When I pull it up tight the belt is not lined up for some reason
Old 05-15-2014, 09:36 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Take a good side view of the belt and 3 pulleys so we can try to figure out why things don't line up. I posted a picture once with a ruler to measure the distance out for the fan pulley, and I'll try to find it again.

I haven't seen the short strap, and you might have to make one if you can't find one. I think with the short strap the special timing cover bolt is moved over one bolt hole closer to the generator.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:11 AM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Here is the picture I took of my belt with good alignment and using an original fan and water pump.
4 1/8" measured from the rear edge of the fan hub to the water pump gasket surface.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FanBelt1.jpg (71.3 KB, 48 views)
Old 05-16-2014, 06:28 PM   #13
firechief5215

I measured my water pump the same way you did and measures 41/4 it appears to be a later water pump . I have a early water pump with the single round hole that measures 3 15/16. This may be my issue. If so can I rebuild this water pump myself also the leather washer is it reproduced and the bolt to mount the adjusting arm on is it reproduced as well as the nut for the other end that mounts on the stud. The adjustment arm should it be painted. Sorry for all these questions but I cannot find these answers in my standard's book
Old 05-16-2014, 08:45 PM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

Call Bert's in Denver for the missing bolt and hardware. 800-321-1931

The leather washer is easily cut from an old leather jacket or billfold or leather from the fabric store. The strap is painted black.

Water pumps are easily rebuilt and mine never leaked a drop in 10 years. Be sure to use a good shaft or a new shaft. If you use a new shaft, it would be best to buy it with a new impeller pinned in place. Also buy the new rear bushing with a seal in the rear of it. Use the original or new brass adjusting nut with 2 new lead packing rings. Be sure to smear a lot of grease around the lead packing rings as you install them in the brass packing nut. I always reuse my original good front roller bearing and original grease zerks.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #15
firechief5215

Thank you for your help I found my alignment problem with my generator , Someone had grinding the lower mounting ear thin for some reason . I had one to replace it with . Thank you Billy