Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
joeypoconos

Default Garage Sale Find

Attended a local garage sale this morning and came across this antique wheel alignment tool produced by J. F. Duby of Dorchester Mass. The toe in/toe out gauge contains patent number 1440067 dating it to December 26, 1922. Everything appears to be in place including the end chains, gauge, tension spring, adjusting gizmos etc.
This one sure looks like some of the ones I've seen used on Model A Fords. For 35 bucks there was no way I was going to pass it up. Will definitely use this to check/adjust the alignment on my 29 Sport Coupe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0829.JPG (35.0 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0830.JPG (58.7 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0831.JPG (53.7 KB, 240 views)
joeypoconos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
V4F

Default Re: Garage Sale Find

that is cool !
Old 08-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Kurt in NJ

Page 239 of the service bulletins pictures it and gives instructions on it's use.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
peters180a/170b

nice piece to find... can't beat the price... I came across a CAR DOLLY from as early as the teens???? i am guessing ..Was very heavy and left it ...price was OK but ...if you got a flat this was used to place under the flat/wheel and had 4 small wheels just like a wheel dolly and you would strap the wheel in place and then drive on the dolly... Why ..guess when you run out of tires they used this to get to a station???? That's why i left it there..did not make any sense...
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
Jerry Parr WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeypoconos View Post
Attended a local garage sale this morning and came across this antique wheel alignment tool produced by J. F. Duby of Dorchester Mass. The toe in/toe out gauge contains patent number 1440067 dating it to December 26, 1922. Everything appears to be in place including the end chains, gauge, tension spring, adjusting gizmos etc.
This one sure looks like some of the ones I've seen used on Model A Fords. For 35 bucks there was no way I was going to pass it up. Will definitely use this to check/adjust the alignment on my 29 Sport Coupe.
That gauge is still available today. Google search for Duby alignment gauge will result in a number of suppliers. You got a great price on a very useful tool. I bought one a few years ago and paid $70. I see them listed as high as twice that.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:33 AM   #6
KR500

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Nice find joey, believe it or not that same toe in gage is still made and sold by S&G tools. It can be ordered by a Matco tool vendor, price about $80.00. In the '30s Duby joined or was purchased by Manley and became Manley-Duby. They marketed a front alignment gage and sold it thru K.R. Wilson. It is pictured in the K.R. Wilson 1930-31 tool catalog. I believe KRW also sold the toe in gage. Eventually Manley dropped the Duby part of the name and for many years were under the ACCO name or American Chain & Cable Co. Manley continued making jack stands, engine hoists, tire machines, hydraulic presses, and engine stands well into the 1950's. Anyone wanting a copy of the instruction sheet for the Manley-Duby gage can email me at [email protected] and I will furnish it by email.
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Special Coupe Frank

Speaking of Manley, a number of years ago, I had a Manley Wrecking Crane, hand cranked... made in York, PA.
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote