Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-09-2010, 02:10 AM   #1
Randy

Default 36LB Rod Bearing questions...

I've got a '36LB engine that I acquired recently and discovered it had the wrong rod bearings in it. It had about 0.200" rod side clearance as it had the later full floating bearings without the flange.

I would like to find the correct rod bearings so I pulled a couple of rods out today. The bore of the two rods measure 2.222" and my book says they should measure 2.220", so I guess they've been bored 0.002" oversize. The crank is stamped R-010. I haven't measured it yet, but expect it to be 0.010" undersize.

Is there anyone that makes these flanged rod bearings in 0.002" oversize rod and 0.010" undersize crank or what is the solution? The rods seem a bit out of round but I guess the caps can be shaved and then the bore resized to + 0.002".

Thanks!
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:28 AM   #2
Lawrie

Default Re: 36LB Rod Bearing questions...

I got mine a couple of years back from REd Hamilton in fort bragg just north of San francisco
Also Sally Helger in New york I think
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
BrianCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I've got a '36LB engine that I acquired recently and discovered it had the wrong rod bearings in it. It had about 0.200" rod side clearance as it had the later full floating bearings without the flange.

I would like to find the correct rod bearings so I pulled a couple of rods out today. The bore of the two rods measure 2.222" and my book says they should measure 2.220", so I guess they've been bored 0.002" oversize. The crank is stamped R-010. I haven't measured it yet, but expect it to be 0.010" undersize.

Is there anyone that makes these flanged rod bearings in 0.002" oversize rod and 0.010" undersize crank or what is the solution? The rods seem a bit out of round but I guess the caps can be shaved and then the bore resized to + 0.002".

Thanks!
If you are going to have them re-sized , go for 2.220, not over-sized. Easier to get bearings.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
Lyndon

When I did my '36 LB a couple summers ago, the vendor I bought the rod bearings from ended up not having a complete set of the flanged bearings, one set was missing. It as at this point that I found out that the flanged rod bearings have not been in production for decades, there is no NOS supplies to be had anywhere, and therefore it would be a real pain finding any. I spent about 2 days on the internet and on the phone before I found a guy in St. Cloud MN who had a stray pair of rod bearings in the size I needed. I will look through my stuff later on and see if I can find his name for you.

-Lyndon
Lyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
Lyndon

Randy:

I just sent a e-mail with the contact information to you.

-Lyndon
Old 12-09-2010, 10:01 PM   #6
Randy

Thanks alot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndon View Post
Randy:

I just sent a e-mail with the contact information to you.

-Lyndon
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:05 PM   #7
Ol' Ron

When rebuilding a floating bearing I always hone in extra clearance in the rod bores. .002 is not excessive. However you must run the flanged bearings with this crank.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
Lyndon

Ron:

Your comment got me to thinking: is it possible to install a later crank into one of the older pre '37 blocks, and then be able to use the more commonly available rod bearings?
Old 12-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #9
Ol' Ron

I'm not sure, I know the 37-8 crank will fit but they use the flanged bearing too. Might want to contact Walt, I never worked on many of those stylr engines.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:03 PM   #10
Fordestes

Randy, I sent you a p.m. I may have what you are needing, I have tons of bearings, flanged and other non flanged many sizes,rebuilt rods too. I m having health problems and I am thinning out the heard, I 'll probably never need all that I have.
Regards,
Fordestes
Fordestes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
southfork

I would think that some manufacturer would have started making these flanged bearings again. I wonder why not?
southfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #12
rotorwrench

I think you can even put a 4 inch crank in there. It seems like there is a clearance problem that requires some machine work either to the cheeks or the OD of the counterweights but I can't remember which. The snout is shorter on the early cranks too if I remember correctly but that wouldn't be too hard to modify. I'll have to check the Tex Smith flathead book to be sure. They modified a 37 block to up the CID to 255 so they would have more power & reliability for a 35 coupe running the Great American Race. They bored plum into the water jackets to sleeve the bores out to 3 3/16".

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote