Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2022, 05:13 PM   #1
busmania

Default “Edmunds custom” heads and intake value?

Parts have a wierd way of finding me. I acquired these recently but not sure i want to use them. I might sell to buy other parts. What kind of value do they have? The fins are in good shape with one small break on one. The cylinder side probably needs to be surfaced as it is some scratches and putting.

Or, I may use them on my Flathead build. Pros and cons?

Thanks!

8832DBE5-3ED7-4226-AAB2-6AEDED4696B9.jpg

CD86676C-B75A-4E16-9D1B-CC36EB2F03F5.jpg
Old 12-30-2022, 05:15 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: “Edmunds custom” heads and intake value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by busmania View Post
Parts have a wierd way of finding me. I acquired these recently but not sure i want to use them. I might sell to buy other parts. What kind of value do they have? The fins are in good shape with one small break on one. The cylinder side probably needs to be surfaced as it is some scratches and putting.

Or, I may use them on my Flathead build. Pros and cons?

Thanks!]

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 05:27 PM   #3
jimTN

They look good on the side that counts. The way this stuff is priced on the ebay market, they would have a big price on them. I have a set and intake on one of my engines that runs well for looks and transportation. I cannot tell from the pic but something looks odd about the fuel pump mounting area on the manifold. Is it just the pic angle or is it different. I would say that the going pricing appears to be around $400 for the heads an $250-300 for the intake. That's pricing, not necessarily what someone will pay.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 05:28 PM   #4
tubman

Edmunds heads are special (at least the 8BA versions) in that they have the spark plugs relocated just enough to clear the exhaust valve allowing the use of extended tip plugs. I have had two sets on my engines, the first set on my summertime driver '51 coupe installed in 2016. I used the "foil ball" method to get them to the optimum clearance over the pistons and I have very satisfied with the performance and economy.

In my opinion, Edmunds heads are the best aftermarket heads out there. If they are in the condition you say they are, I wouldn't take anything less than $1000 for the set. When you take into consideration the non-availability of new finned aftermarket flathead heads, I would think twice about selling them.

The intakes, in my opinion, are a completely different matter. I think they are among the ugliest intakes out there and have the carbs biased towards the back to make room for the generator. I prefer to use "Super" style intakes (with the carbs positioned over the intake ports in the block) with straight linkage.

Just one man's opinion.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 10:10 PM   #5
alchemy

As Tub said, look into the cost and availability of any other heads you might use before you sell those Edmunds. Prices have gone way up for new stuff, IF you can find any in stock.

Then, make sure those have enough room before you bolt them down tight. I can tell they've been milled a bit as the dome is getting smaller. Usually the OD of the dome is around 3-3/8". Measure yours and see. But the clay or aluminum ball method should be tried after the rebuilt short block is complete to see what real clearance you will have.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 10:33 PM   #6
busmania

Thanks y’all. I think the photo makes the deck surface look better than they are. No matter what heads I install (stock or aftermarket) I will use clay or foil method to make sure there is appropriate clearance. Learned a clearance lesson on the first engine I ever built way back when.

I now own stock 40 heads, 2 sets of 59ab heads and these edmunds. 40 engine bored to 3 3/16, mercury 4” crank. Which would you run?

Last edited by busmania; 12-30-2022 at 10:52 PM.
busmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 11:42 PM   #7
cas3

Used aluminum heads can be a gamble, warped, over milled, spark plug threads, corrosion from electrolysis inside you can't see. I personally would run the 40 heads, angle milled for a compression boost.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 10:21 AM   #8
Ol' Ron

I think Tubman hit the nail on the head. With Offy heads going for 1500 bucks and edelbrocks at the 750 mark. I;d rather have these as they are a etter product. Might need alittle but worth it.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 11:30 AM   #9
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I think Tubman hit the nail on the head. With Offy heads going for 1500 bucks and edelbrocks at the 750 mark. I;d rather have these as they are a etter product. Might need alittle but worth it.
Gramps
Interesting to note about the spark plug placement. I'll need to check them out next time I see a pair (which isn't often).

Off topic, but Offy is really at a cross roads. They may run out of market share if they keep passing their costs on to the consumer, since there are better options at that price point.

I recently purchased a set of Edelbrock block letter heads for $800 shipped. The machine work (all CNC'd) is truly impressive.

Offy still prides themselves on doing all of the machining by hand. I really appreciate this ethos, but there is only so much market space for a set of heads. I would never spend $1,500 on a set of Offy's. You are getting close to a set of Tony Baron's heads at that price and they are light years better than Offy's.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 11:36 AM   #10
Bored&Stroked

The Edmunds heads have already been milled quite a bit - as noted by the small combustion chamber areas. If you plan to run them, you should consider having the dome areas redone (that is assuming there is enough material in them). There are a couple folks who can do this - here is one to contact to see if he is still doing this:

https://kohlerkustom.com/

Engine: If it was mine, I'd run the 4" Merc crank with the later rear "seal plates" (better rear main sealing). More cubic inches is not a bad thing.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 12:00 PM   #11
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
They look good on the side that counts. The way this stuff is priced on the ebay market, they would have a big price on them. I have a set and intake on one of my engines that runs well for looks and transportation. I cannot tell from the pic but something looks odd about the fuel pump mounting area on the manifold. Is it just the pic angle or is it different. I would say that the going pricing appears to be around $400 for the heads an $250-300 for the intake. That's pricing, not necessarily what someone will pay.
I agree on the fuel pump mounting surface. The hole looks too big and the bolt pattern for the fuel pump stand does not look correct.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 06:21 AM   #12
deuce lover

Here is a closeup of that fuel pump stand area.Looks to me like some sort of cloth or rag stuffed in the hole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg intake pump hole.jpg (48.3 KB, 45 views)
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 10:14 AM   #13
quickchangeV8

A new set of Offy heads is $1500, and the new 1067 Offy heads that are much thicker are at $2000 for a set of 59A heads. Now try that on for size!
quickchangeV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 01:04 PM   #14
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchangeV8 View Post
A new set of Offy heads is $1500, and the new 1067 Offy heads that are much thicker are at $2000 for a set of 59A heads. Now try that on for size!
Interesting. The Speedway add claims they are the original casting from the 50's. Can anyone verify this?

I picked up a set of Smith heads that are as thick if not thicker that those Offy 1067's.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 02:24 PM   #15
quickchangeV8

Offy would have all of their old patterns and I'm sure their 1067 patterns would be the original ones. Only 4 sets of these 1067 heads were sold when they first came out. I have a set of the Smith heads that are going in my 1927 roadster and they are very thick and with the top mount water log manifold, it is the perfect setup in that roadster.

I'd love a set of those 1067 Offy heads but the price tag is very high. I would have to save up money and specifically set it aside, for quite some time, to afford those heads.
quickchangeV8 is offline   Reply With Quote