Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-21-2022, 11:53 AM   #1
JEFF0067

Default Headlights turn off when I steer

I have a 1935 Ford Sedan. When I turn on the headlights they come on just fine. I came to find out my first night driving the car that any time I turned left or right the headlights would turn off! I am assuming that there is something wrong with column switch but I am really not sure. Does anyone have any experience or advice for this problem? Greatly appreciated!
JEFF0067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 12:01 PM   #2
rockfla

Default Re: Headlights turn off when I steer

Just to be 100% clear on your situation....When you turn the car to the left or right the actual switch in the center of the steering wheel that you turned on is getting turned back off....when it happens you have to physically turn the lights back on again???
rockfla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 12:06 PM   #3
cas3

The horn / light rod that goes thru the steering shaft to the switch is bent and dragging on the shaft and trying to turn with the steering wheel. The rod must be straight, and the only way to install them on a closed car is to drop the steering box down on the floor, or remove it, so you have enough length to get the rod in and out without bending it
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 12:08 PM   #4
Fordman487

I have a '35 truck; if the car and truck are the same, the lever in the center of the steering wheel is attached by a rod to the actual switch which is mounted at the base of the steering column. It would not be uncommon for something to be loose in that switch or being pulled by the turning wheel. Confirm if the lever is being turned off physically. If not, it is a connection issue in that switch. It can be looked at and worked on, but its in a difficult place to get to.
Fordman487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 12:09 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

That is a common problem if the long tube has ever been removed from your steering column, and was somehow BENT during the process. They say it's almost impossible to re-straighten one SATISFACTORILY. Your symptom is the result.

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 12:26 PM   #6
cas3

Hint... when I straighten them I drill a hole in a wooden block that fits the tube , 3/8" ?, then make a slice in one side with a hand saw so you can clamp the block in the vise , the sliced block will squeeze down on the tube and not crush the tube. keep sliding it around to where the bend needs fixin, check with a straight edge. They can be fixed if not too bad
Old 09-21-2022, 12:34 PM   #7
JEFF0067

Thank you all so much for the quick feed back. To answer the first question, yes. I ended up turning the headlights back on after each turn.

It seems that the consensus is that the rod could be bent. Is it possible to purchase a new replacement rod or is that something that is not available?

Greatly Appreciated!!
Old 09-21-2022, 02:27 PM   #8
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF0067 View Post
Thank you all so much for the quick feed back. To answer the first question, yes. I ended up turning the headlights back on after each turn.

It seems that the consensus is that the rod could be bent. Is it possible to purchase a new replacement rod or is that something that is not available?

Greatly Appreciated!!
I would try and find a good original rod.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 07:02 PM   #9
ford38v8

Jeff, if you are of a mind to do the job yourself, you should know that the reason your horn/light rod is bent to begin with is that a previous owner got in a hurry and damaged the rod getting it out and back in. With a closed car such as your sedan, the rod is too long to remove into the interior of the car without bending.

What must be done is to disconnect the battery, and protect the interior from the dirty job ahead. Remove the wooden floorboard from the pedal area, loosen the steering box mounting bolts, remove the steering shaft retaining bracket where if fastens to the dashboard, rotate/lower the assembly sufficiently to point the steering shaft out the open driver door.

At that point, clean any oil/grease from the light switch housing below the steering box, as the interior of this housing is clean and must remain clean. remove the bale clip from the bottom and remove the housing to reveal the switch assembly within. Disconnect the horn grounding wire from the switch, remove the retainer clip and spring from the horn rod. Now, and only now, proceed to remove the horn/light rod/horn button assembly straight out the top of the steering shaft through the open door.

It is definitely worthwhile to attempt a straightening of the bent rod, but it's good to also have a good replacement lined up in case you are not successful in the straightening.

Before you do any of that, post some pictures of your Ford. We love pictures!
Old 09-22-2022, 01:57 PM   #10
Terry,OH

Since turning the steering wheel L or R does not turn the lights ON but only turns them OFF there is a strong case the horn rod is not bent. It doesn't take much for this to happen. You may have to clean the light switch to remove any oil from the steering box and look into other factors causing the switch to move to the off position such as contact with the steering wheel. Does the light switch as operated by the horn rod seem to go into the ON position with ease? If so the detents for the various positions may not be deep enough.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 02:27 PM   #11
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
Since turning the steering wheel L or R does not turn the lights ON but only turns them OFF there is a strong case the horn rod is not bent. It doesn't take much for this to happen. You may have to clean the light switch to remove any oil from the steering box and look into other factors causing the switch to move to the off position such as contact with the steering wheel. Does the light switch as operated by the horn rod seem to go into the ON position with ease? If so the detents for the various positions may not be deep enough.
Hence post two...."to be 100% clear" on exactly what and how the issue was happening.
rockfla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 07:59 PM   #12
JEFF0067

Thank you everyone for the help. I am going to look into all of the suggestions. I will get to the bottom of this. Alan, I will post a pic as soon as I figure out how to post a pic! I will post the resolution. I thank you all again!
Old 04-06-2023, 11:52 PM   #13
elwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
The horn / light rod that goes thru the steering shaft to the switch is bent and dragging on the shaft and trying to turn with the steering wheel. The rod must be straight, and the only way to install them on a closed car is to drop the steering box down on the floor, or remove it, so you have enough length to get the rod in and out without bending it
Yep, someone put that horn rod in with out dropping the shaft,
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 12:07 AM   #14
cas3

Thanks for the update Elwood. How about some pics of the 34 3w jalopy in your avatar ?
Old 04-08-2023, 03:33 PM   #15
slowforty

Entirely Off subject but there was injured War Veteran who got an Electric prosthesis and every time he had relations with his Wife, Her breasts would light up.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 07:04 PM   #16
Jack E/NJ

>>>Entirely Off subject>>>

Not entirely. Like the electric prosthesis, the switch assembly was simply a poorly-designed gimmick that often wouldn't light up anything. .
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 07:52 PM   #17
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
>>>Entirely Off subject>>>

Not entirely. Like the electric prosthesis, the switch assembly was simply a poorly-designed gimmick that often wouldn't light up anything. .
I respectfully disagree. Compare the replacement rate of foot dimmer switches to the sturdy multi functional steering column switch. The actuating mechanism, however, is another story.
Old 04-08-2023, 08:27 PM   #18
Jack E/NJ

Heh-heh. I'm still using the original 38 dimmer. But not the original column switch. It long ago succumbed to Rochester NY salted roads even though it had a brine weep hole in its cover at the very bottom of the column. Replaced with a genuine Warshawsky switch & wiring kit when I finally got out of that place a long time ago. 8^)
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote