Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-30-2017, 06:28 AM   #1
russcc

Default Adjusting voltage regulator

I have a NORS Echlin 6V voltage regulator on the '40. See photo. The electrical system did not seem to be charging so I took the generator and regulator to a local automotive electrical shop. They ran generator on the test machine, it was putting out about 35 amps. They hooked up the voltage regulator to the generator, a 6V battery, and a voltmeter and ran the generator. The most voltage we could get out of the regulator was 6.3- to 6.4 volts, when we needed around 7.5 volts. They tried adjusting the voltage relay but could not gain any additional voltage. Any suggestions from the electrical gurus on what else to try. I hate to ditch a good old NORS regulator for a new one of questionable quality made who knows where. Thank you Fordbarners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5106.JPG (103.6 KB, 268 views)
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:03 AM   #2
Jack E/NJ

Default Re: Adjusting voltage regulator

>>>a 6V battery>>>

Maybe their battery is suspect. How many amps were going into it? Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:55 AM   #3
Art Newland

Depending on the condition and charge on the battery, it can take a while to completely top off the battery. I replaced a worn out generator on my 30 coupe with a 20 amp alternator, with built in regulator, and it surprisingly took a couple of weeks of daily driving for the battery to show a full charge. If the generator can indeed crank out 35 amps, I'd say all is good and eventually a good battery will show a fully charged voltage.
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:08 AM   #4
rotorwrench

The voltage limiter points might be crusty. You can only bend on the spring mount so much. Sometimes stuff just wears beyond serviceability. If I was going to try to repair one of these, I'd look for an old OEM original.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:47 AM   #5
flatheadmurre

Did the cutout relay close ?
If not the resitors their connections or the coil for the cutout is bad.
Before the cutout closes there´s nothing to adjust.
If if closes start by cleaning the contact points.
After that you can put a little force on the voltage relay to check if it reacts before starting to adjust anything(keeping the points closed would be what you want to increase output voltage)
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:18 AM   #6
rotorwrench

New old stock items are always a gamble. You don't know whether it was a defective item or not when you get one. You just have to hope it was actually some old inventory that was well cared for and still in operable condition. If they couldn't get it to go up or down by applying pressure with a bending tool, I would suspect it has a problem. Even slight bending deflection should get a change.

Another thing that folks had to deal with during adjustment was the cover. If it has a steel cover, the voltage can drop as much as 0.2-volts when you install it. Aluminum covers didn't have that affect. Always something to deal with on these old systems.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:36 AM   #7
Art Newland

I suppose an electronic VR be placed in the old regulator's housing? It's very cool looking!
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:26 PM   #8
russcc

Thank you all for the guidance. Interesting story from the crew at the auto electric shop about the magnetism change created by the steel cover. They adjust a voltage regulator so it was putting out 7.5 volts, put the cover on and it dropped to 7.1. Then they cranked up the voltage regulator to put out 7.9 volts, put the cover on and dripped to 7.5. All was finally well.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote