Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-22-2013, 05:35 AM   #1
BILL WZOREK

Default Wives Tail ( I think that is the Expression) or truth???

I was told { Or heard } That if you switch to Synthetic Motor oil or gear Lube that you should NEVER Switch back to the original oil's / gear Lube's.

Also what is " Synthetic " Oil products,is it regular oil's Refined in a different mannor or is it completely Man ( or women ) Made products
combined & blended for a specific use?

Those are my Questions / now my thoughts

I know in my Large International Dump truck we use Synthetic Gear Lube
The truck has Temp guages in the transmission & both rearends.
I am amazed how cool the 3 units run,I don't think I have ever seen above 150* / 155*

With our Flatheads being prone to running warm / Hot would the use of Syntheic motor oil Help to cool the motor by not adding to the heat build up?

BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #2
trainguy

Default Re: Wives Tail ( I think that is the Expression) or truth???

Bill,I think you mean tale,not tail.You really got my interest but unfortionatly you were writing about cars.LOL Phil
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #3
BILL WZOREK

Phil:
I got your attention didn't I.
Thats 1 thing Spell check can't do!
Tell you if you are using the correct word, only how to spell the incorrect word. LOL lol LOL
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
Scott H in Wheaton

Yeah, the expression is OLD WIVES TALE..

I've also heard that synthetics will be more prone to leakage on an older motor, that its easier for it to weep past gaskets and seals.
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
ford38v8

Bill, you got everyone's attention! The fact that you didn't make the distinction between young and old wives is, well, ...just politically correct?

About switching back and forth between synthetic and dinosaur, they are both compatible to the point that you can add one or the other with no damage if you are low on the dipstick.

Somewhere I heard that there is actually a certain percentage of dinosaur oil in synthetic, but not I'm sure that is true.

Perhaps your International has a transmission fluid heat exchanger in the radiator that would account for cooler running? I don't know that one oil would run cooler than another, unless the SAE rating is different, or perhaps, just a guess, maybe the heat transfer ability of synthetic is better? In any case, a perception of what is "hot" or "cool" can be swayed by expectation. You'd be careful to not touch a hot engine, but a transmission temperature of 150º F can give you a first degree burn also.

The two major advantages of synthetic over dinosaur are:
1 - Molecule arrangement allows penetration to smaller crevices, thereby lubricating better.
2 - Synthetic doesn't break down under excessive heat like dinosaur oil does. When oil breaks down, it loses its abiliy to perform its lubricating function.

Now that my brain is overheated after all this, I think I'll grab a beer. I know my Budwieser is all natural and compatible with anything except old wives!
Old 09-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
Marv

Synthetic is definetly better for lubrication. I bought a car 4 years ago and was supposed to get 27 mpg just running around. I was getting 22 to 24. I was reading my service manual and they recomended synthetic. When i changed oil i used the same weight oil and brand but synthettic. I get 27 mpg now. When i change oil at 7000 miles as the car manufacture recomended the oil is still feels slick as new.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
Ralph Moore

Up here, synthethic is almost a must in your standard trannys and gearboxes.
Your car will hardly move at temps lower than 30 below, and at 40 below and colder you can actually break things if your not careful.
Now if you have heaters on your engine( most up here do) then the synthetics are not as mandatory, although it is better for your engine.
And to answer your question, I've switched back and forth in my old Chebbie truck with no issues.(I buy whatevers on sale)
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote