Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2023, 08:17 PM   #1
Grassman

Default needing a starter

Hi, I'm needing some advice, my starter was not engaging towards the last of the Year before I parked it, tried starting it this year and it wouldn't start(clogged fuel line) I got that fixed, charged the Battery back up and now starter won't engage, tried jumping the solenoid and still no go, my question is where is the best place to get another starter for my Sweetheart?? or Bendix if needed, haven't removed it yet, it's outside and I'm in the middle of Wyoming, gonna be warmer tomorrow, Thanks for Your time and Help, Grassman. (David) it's a 1947 1/2 Ton with V8.
Grassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 08:52 PM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: needing a starter

I hope it is as simple as a broken bendix spring. If the starter/bendix looks ok, look for broken teeth on flywheel ring gear.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 11:22 PM   #3
cas3

I wouldn't go looking for a starter until you know whats wrong with the one you have already.
you say won't engage, Does that mean it spins but won't engage, or does nothing? Could be as simple as the ground between starter and block. could be a broken bolt on the bendix if it spins, could be a broken bendix spring too.
Best bet would be to take off and have a looksee ! Once its off, if nothing is obviously broken, I would clamp it in the vise, or even on the floor with your foot on it,hook up a battery and see what it does. While out, see how much wiggle there is on the shaft...may be time for a rebuild. Brushes and bushings are cheap and easy to install.
First, you need to know whats wrong with it, But....certainly fixing what you got is better than looking for some modern day replacement junk. Also, clean the surface where it mounts for good ground, and does it have the little L shaped bracket to the oil pan for support? this also helps ground. Got good fat clean battery cables?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 05:59 AM   #4
Grassman

Thanks for Your Reply 40cpe and cas3, I'm going to pull the starter the first of next week, I will post what I find then, I'll start with the cables and Grounds and go from there.
Old 04-26-2023, 10:07 AM   #5
fortyonerag

if you get nothing at all when you hit the starter, start looking at the electricals.

Does the starter spin? If you hear whirring when you hit the starter all is OK electrically and you don't need to check cables etc. Pull the starter and have a look at the Bendix spring, or drive gear teeth.
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 10:18 AM   #6
GSCOV

Grassman- I have had starters lock up. To where you would hear a little wheeze when you pushed the starter control and nothing else. I had one lock up on a stalled engine backing out of the garage. To fix it- I put it in 3rd gear and pulled it backwards and - POW - it released. Not saying it is your problem, but 5 minutes to try it could save you a lot of time. And this may be helpful to others.
GSCOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 11:41 AM   #7
Grassman

I fixed it! I'm old enough to know better (78) Thanks for mentioning the Cables, Pulled the positive Battery cable, Cleaned it and the Post, put it Back together and it started in less than 1 turn( well maybe 2) It saved me a lot of work, (only like being on my back for one thing) I want to Thank all of You for Your Quick replies, 40cpe,cas3,fourtyonerag, and gscov. (saved me a bunch of money Too!) Thanks again, You're a Great Bunch, Grassman (David)