Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2017, 07:08 PM   #1
wingski

Default Kelsey Hayes wheels

I went to a swap meet in Grants Pass, Oregon this last Sunday and was very impressed by the guys selling model A parts. Neat people behaving very nicely on a super hot day. I fell in love with a set of four red powder-coated 16” Kelsey Hayes rims. They were beautiful, but the tube side of the rims were rough even though they were painted over. I’ve been kicking myself ever since for not buying them for $300. However, I’ve got 5 beautful black powder-coated 19” rims with all new Firestone 4.75/5.00 tires on my ’29 plus two more 19’ rims with Bedford Coach tires that are almost new. I realized at the time that I would have to buy another 16” rim and paint it to match, buy 5 hubcaps, buy five 16” radials, and a new 16’ rear wheel cover, and my wife didn’t fall in love with the wheels like I did.

I know that radial tires would be such an improvement over my bias tires, and I would love the look of those red spokes on my blue ’29 cabriolet. However, I can’t justify spending all that money when I’ve got good tires and rims.

This is driving me nuts. Was $300 a good price? Does anybody have an idea of what it would cost to get everything else if I had bought those $300 wheels? Please, no smart-ass comments because I’m sure that someone out there has had the same situation to deal with.
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:23 PM   #2
ronn

Default Re: Kelsey Hayes wheels

well, first of all, if you like them then that is what matters.
Many on here have them, but I am of the camp of preferring original hands down.
The 300. was a fair price, not a great price. I have sold a set of those rims for 400.
and I sometimes have bought them for less then 200. If you take your time, you will find a reasonable set on CL.
Becuase you say they were rough on the one side, I would keep looking and not look back............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:24 PM   #3
ronn

ps your wife has good taste!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:32 PM   #4
glenn in camino

16" wheels will make your Model A look funny. Stick with your 19s and spend your money on something worthwhile.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:41 PM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
16" wheels will make your Model A look funny. Stick with your 19s and spend your money on something worthwhile.
Glenn,
Look at my Avatar, Vermin doesn't look FUNNY--Be NICE, my Man
Bill Hurt
Old 09-11-2017, 10:45 PM   #6
CWPASADENA

I have 19s on one of my cars and 16 KH on the other

I like them both

My opinion

Chris W
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:30 PM   #7
midgetracer

I just bought 2 Kelsey Hayes very nice 16 inch rims. I paid $200 for the pair. It will cost me $100 to powder coat them after I spend 5 hours in the glass bead cabinet. Granted, mine are smooth on the tube side, but $300 for four seems like a good deal since they were already powder coated. One thing I always check is that they are real Kelseys. Motor wheels also have bent spoke design, but less spokes. An easy way to tell is that Kelsey Hays spokes always cross two spokes. Motor wheels cross only one. Motor wheels are still a valuable wheel, just not as cool as Kelseys unless they are 19 inch. I have two 19 inch Motor wheels and would buy four more for my Phaeton.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:55 AM   #8
Charlie Stephens

I think $300 was a very good price IF they were straight. If they weren't straight you would have to pay someone to straighten them and then probably powder coat them again. Just keep telling yourself they were probably bent and you made the right decision.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:15 AM   #9
Sunnybrook Farm

There was a set of KH 16s on my 30 tudor that hasn't been restored, fixed up some over the years but is a good example of what model a cars looked like when I was a kid. It still had a 19 inch for the spare. I drove it some a few years ago and it did fine and the 16s look normal to me as so many cars had them 50+ years ago. I am keeping it in "fixed up" condition and someone can restore it some day if they want, maybe they can find a KH for the spare.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:05 AM   #10
Railcarmover
BANNED

The tube side being rough doesn't hurt a thing,use a spoke liner and talc,good to go.Ive got 5 kelsey 16" bent wires,came across them a few at a time,but Im going to run the 21's..was looking at a '29 roadster with kelseys,mitchell trans and OD, a B engine worked,12v,juice brakes, hydraulic shocks and turn signals..it really wasn't a model a anymore and it wasn't fast enough to be a hotrod...seems most of the stuff was just so the guy could say the car has it,like a talking point....its a waste of money as far as I'm concerned, and a long way away from the car Ford made from 28 to 31...
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:24 AM   #11
wingski

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate the fact that you guys didn’t give me a hard time. I was able to sleep last night without dreaming about a single Kelsey Hayes wheel. I realize something now that I think about it. The young man who I owe so much to for helping me learn about cars had a ’31 coupe with ’48 Merc V-8, hydraulic brakes, and Kelsey Hayes 16” rims. That was his work car and he drove it every day, and it was a wonderful car. I’ll never be able to thank Billy Claflin of Milwaukie, Oregon enough for what he shared and taught me. His patience and ability to allow a young kid of 8-10 years old to learn how to use tools and work with him was outstanding. A job was never done until all those tools were wiped down and put back where they belonged. Billy affected my life so much and helped make me what I am today. Thank you ever so much Billy wherever you are today.

Now, back to those KH wheels. Correct me If I’m wrong, but since I used Mercury juice brakes the bolt pattern was different from a model A. I had to use 15” all metal rims instead of KH spokes. So, I painted them red and mounted white-walls on my first ’31. With the small hubcaps and beauty rings, that car looked sharp, but it lacked something. That something was KH rims, and those rims were and are the same thing to me as chrome reversed rims or mag wheels are to so many other men of my age. I think they are probably the neatest American wheel ever made. The only wheel that surpasses them are 15” or 16” Jaguar chrome spokes with knock-offs and they would look funny on a model A. I think.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:33 AM   #12
BILL WILLIAMSON

Anybody remember MUD? '19s or '21s are much better for it.
I always "thought" them SKINNY wheels from an Old M.G.-TC would look GREAT!
Bill Rolling
Old 09-12-2017, 10:59 AM   #13
midgetracer

Hey Wingski, Not to sabotage your thread, but isn't there a great meat market in your small town. I remember passing through there and getting great sausage and Jerky.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #14
wingski

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
Hey Wingski, Not to sabotage your thread, but isn't there a great meat market in your small town. I remember passing through there and getting great sausage and Jerky.
It's called Taylor's and everything is great, but if you want the best hamburger and fries since the 50's get one. They're not cheap, but they are outstanding.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:08 PM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
M.R,
JERKY is OK, but SAUSAGE is made from all the left over crap, that NOBODY wants
I've watched sausage being made ALL around the WORLD, & it's always the same old story----AND, they add LOTS of old FAT, for "FLAVOR"---And to plug up yo' PIPES!!
Bill Yuck
Old 09-12-2017, 10:20 PM   #16
midgetracer

Bill, you haven't had sausage from Wishek ND. It is made from lean pork and special seasoning. people come from all over the USA to get some. if I get to Cali, Ill bring you some.