Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-28-2020, 11:47 AM   #1
[email protected]

Question Looking for some clarification

Hi this is my first attempt at a thread, I purchased a 49 ford pickup so I thought. So just trying to clarify something i just noticed. the heads are saying 8CM Mercury heads. But the bolt head size is 5/8 i thought they were suppose to be 11/16 head size. Would this be an issue or just lighter duty bolt. Or would it be something i would have to address before i go any farther. also the oil canister is it he correct one or does it matter except for the length of the oil lines, the cannister is bolted on with three bolts i was trying to include a photo but could not get it to work. But will if i can figure it out . Thanking you in advance for any info or help you can provide.
whiteway@crrstv.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:25 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Looking for some clarification

Looks like someone replaced original bolts with newer bolts with the 5/8 head. That's ok and is not a problem. The 3 bolt canister that bolts to the driver side head will also work fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4695b.jpg (62.3 KB, 28 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:29 PM   #3
19Fordy

Someone replaced original bolts with newer bolts with the 5/8 head. That's ok and is not a problem. The 3 bolt canister that bolts to the driver side head will also work fine.
Opps, Sorry for the double post.

Make sure you have the correct .060 restrictor fitting and sending unit. A Fordbarn search on "oil pressure fitting" will help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4817b.jpg (45.5 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 12-28-2020 at 12:36 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:30 PM   #4
tubman

Standard "hardware store" 7/16" (thread size) bolts have 5/8" heads; the 11/16" that Ford used is typical Ford "over-kill". The "8CM" on the heads indicate a 4" stroke Mercury engine, which is a big plus. Things have tended to been changed several times over these old engines lives, so you really don't know what you have. If you decide to replace the undersized "hardware store" bolts with the proper Ford ones, you should measure the stroke when the heads are removed so you will know what you really have. Does the engine have a 4 bolt or 3 bolt carburetor? What color (on the chance it hasn't been repainted), is the engine?

To be clear, is the oil filter cannister bolted on with 3 separate bolts or 3 head bolts? The latter indicates a '49 engine.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote