Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2023, 04:03 PM   #1
OldGold360

Default 1935 Pickup Radiator Questions

Hello,

I am working on getting my radiator situated for a 35 pickup and was wondering if any of you guys ever re-cored one of these or had one re-cored. My local radiator guy says he would have to put in a thinner core than the original, 2.375" versus the original 3", to allow enough of a flange for soldering the core to the original tanks. I worry about looks but also cooling as well. I am thinking I should just get a new 3" core and turn flanges on the cores flanges to match the tanks, but it's all still up in the air at this point. I am hoping to hear any experiences or even some suggestions from you folks.

Thanks!
OldGold360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 05:26 PM   #2
CA Victoria

Default Re: 1935 Pickup Radiator Questions

Not sure about other cores that are made but the radiator in my early 35 sedan was restored by brass works. They build their cores in house. It is less than 3” but not by much, surely not 2-3/8 & it has the narrow upper tank. He is using the same core type/dimensions in the 35 pu radiator, but it is still a ways out so no photo to share. My concerns with a 3 tube dissolved in the 100+ deg temps here.
Old 02-10-2023, 08:09 PM   #3
OldGold360

I was planning to have Brassworks rebuild this radiator as well as buy one for another project, but recently received some poorly made parts from them on a recent order for a customer project. This wasn’t a big deal, these things happen, but the way the owner handled the situation was quite shocking and completely unprofessional which left me and my customer pretty disgruntled. My local radiator guy has tons of experience with old radiators but I wanted to see if anyone else here has had their radiator re-cored and was required to use a core 5/8” thinner than the oem core.
OldGold360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 04:21 PM   #4
hotcoupe

Fifteen or so years ago I upgraded my '37 1/2 ton from a V8-60 to 239 c.i. motor and purchased the correct radiator that was beyond repair. I formed new header panels, took them and the finished dimensions to a local radiator shop. His supplier built a perfect core in two weeks. Fast forward to today, I've been trying to get a core made for a '32 V-8 using my header panels, I can't find anyone to do it including Brass works. Like a lot of things, I believe the radiator business has changed, and not for the better.
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20230123_130418384.jpg (35.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20230123_130339493.jpg (31.3 KB, 15 views)
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 05:04 PM   #5
Newc

One good Radiator shop in West Vancouver, WA. Wilson's I believe. Oregon V8ers are driving for hours to hire him. Nothing much left in Oregon, but a couple of big 'RECORE' always shops. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 05:58 PM   #6
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcoupe View Post
Fifteen or so years ago I upgraded my '37 1/2 ton from a V8-60 to 239 c.i. motor and purchased the correct radiator that was beyond repair. I formed new header panels, took them and the finished dimensions to a local radiator shop. His supplier built a perfect core in two weeks. Fast forward to today, I've been trying to get a core made for a '32 V-8 using my header panels, I can't find anyone to do it including Brass works. Like a lot of things, I believe the radiator business has changed, and not for the better.
Tom

Long way away but as a last resort check with Fontana Radiator. They make custom one off radiators last I knew. They have done basic radiator work for me as well as a new heater core for my '54 Ranch Wagon. The heater core required some out of the box work but the result was perfect.

Fontana Radiator | Heavy Equipment, Aluminum, Brass, Custom & Motorcycle Radiator Repair