Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-24-2015, 08:21 AM   #1
amishboy

Default Not to be beating a dead horse..(distributor issues)

I've got a 24 bolt flathead believe its a 40 with the original distributor. I bought a remote kit to use a modern coil. Condenser is new and all the wiring is too. I have good readings on all of my connection as far as voltage and ohms go. When I remove my distributor caps to rock the points apart with a screwdriver I do not get spark between points, however when I touch the screwdriver to the distributor housing and rock it I get spark where ever the screwdriver is touching. I have taken a nail file and lightly clean the points. I have set the gap at .015. Aside from having never worked on something like this in my 26 years alive I feel that I did pretty good with this. I have to figure I don't have something adjusted right. Along with that if I decide to go to an electric distributor what all is involved?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12a.jpg (172.1 KB, 71 views)
amishboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:38 AM   #2
wbedwards

Default Re: Not to be beating a dead horse..(distributor issues)

Your car is positive ground? Is coil maybe hooked up backwards?
wbedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:47 AM   #3
amishboy

I have the battery side of the coil coming in to the (-) side of the coil and then back out the (+) side to the distributor.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:57 AM   #4
deuce_roadster

Instead of watching for sparks, you can tell if the points are working by watching the ammeter while cranking the engine over (obviously with key on). If the ammeter needle wiggles, your points are working. If the needle sits still, they are not. Cleaning the points is a good start to getting spark out of the coil. That is the first thing I would have done since you do have current inside the distributor. You may still have oxidation on them if they are not working. Do you have a multimeter to check voltage at various places?
Since you are new to this, did you know that the two sets of points are acting as ONE? One set makes the connection to the battery voltage, and the other breaks this connection and this causes the coil fire. They are not 2 separate operating sets, each causing the coil to fire.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:02 AM   #5
amishboy

I did not know that about the points.All i know is that distributor is a very amazing device. I do have a multi-meter that I can test with. Where should I test with it at?
Old 06-24-2015, 09:08 AM   #6
rotorwrench

It sounds like something is not insulated well enough. The coil will generally deliver a high tension spark from the tower gapped to a ground whenever one of the breaker points is opened as long as nothing is shorted to ground and the components are in good condition with everything connected in the circuit. You can disconnect the coil high tension lead from the adapter on the divers helmet and set the terminal of the coil wire with a gap to a ground path to test. Coil polarity is important as to the efficiency of the generated spark but it will still generate a spark if the polarity is backwards.

Many of the condensers made today are crap right out of the box. It pays to have a known good one or at least one that will function consistantly well. Most folks don't have a tester so it isn't a bad idea to have several on hand to experiment with.

Your power source from the ignition switch should have a ballast resistor and you can have problems with one that has been in service for a long time. With the modern can type coils, you really don't need a ballast on 6-volt systems. The original coils had to have a ballast so you need to check the condition of what you have to make certain it is delivering good power flow to your coil. Your multi-meter can check the voltage at the coil's ignition connection.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-24-2015 at 09:14 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:17 AM   #7
amishboy

I installed a new resistor as well. I did pick up some NOS parts yesterday from a local flathead guy. He gave me a spare point and a spare zenith condenser. I have tested my power flow to my coil everything from that aspect is good. I'll have to pull the distributor again and really make sure that I have the points cleaned good and maybe Ill swap out one of the points with the spare I was given
Old 06-24-2015, 09:29 AM   #8
40cpe

To expand on Deuce Roadster's comments: To get a spark from the points, you have to set the distributor where the other set of point is open. You have power to the point or they wouldn't spark. since you have the remote coil, you can put your volt meter on the distributor terminal and ground. Turn the engine, you will have voltage on the meter when the points are open, no voltage when the points close. If it is doing this, the points are working.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:34 AM   #9
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Also have a look at the little coil spring on bottom of coil and adapter...the conical bare one, not the one going to rotor. This is easy to cock and it might be bent out of contact with point bracket or even grounde...
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:16 AM   #10
George/Maine

The way I check for spark seeing you have a round coil newer, is take the wire out of dist and hold it near medal and turn key on and see if spark jumps good 3/8"
Do like you were going to start it engine turning.
As said the round coil no resister is needed with 6 volts. Make sure you have 6 volt coil. Check this way you see spark every time a cylinder fires.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:04 PM   #11
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by George/Maine View Post
The way I check for spark...
I usually brace myself with one hand while I grab a plug wire with the other. My elbow usually tells me if I have spark.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:05 PM   #12
rotorwrench

Older condensers were made with wax paper as an insulator. The stuff deteriorates with time so I would recommend using a new part like the NAPA Echlin products.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:03 PM   #13
Capt Kirk

Ford38...there are several ways to check for spark. Once, when I was a kid, I rode a mini-bike without a seat. Those Briggs have an AMAZING spark!!!
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:09 PM   #14
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kirk View Post
Ford38...there are several ways to check for spark. Once, when I was a kid, I rode a mini-bike without a seat. Those Briggs have an AMAZING spark!!!
Talk about one-upmanship!
Old 06-24-2015, 07:06 PM   #15
Capt Kirk

The key word in my post was "once". True story by the way!
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:26 PM   #16
alan

make sure the bottom of the points are clean and that the dist plate where they screw on is also, had one recently that was not and it would not fire. did you replace the rotor? if not pull it out and put shrinks tape around the shaft where the air gap is on the rotor, had several that were bleeding fire off because they were grounding out from the brush ring to the shaft
alan is offline   Reply With Quote