Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-17-2024, 04:39 PM   #1
Babyboomerboy

Default Bucket seats for 50 Ford

I have been thinking about pulling out the bench seat and put in bucket seats in my 1950 Ford Tudor. If some of you guys have done this could you tell me what seats you used and did you have to build a pedestal?
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 07:20 PM   #2
JayChicago

Default Re: Bucket seats for 50 Ford

Just about every car made in the last fifty years has bucket seats. One thing that makes our old cars unique is their bench seats. Why remove that?

Ok, I'll shut up now. Each to his own opinion.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 07:38 PM   #3
tubman

If your seat is in bad condition you might want to consider a set of these on eBay : https://www.ebay.com/itm/325564645547. I'm considering getting a set to protect my decent original upholstery.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 12:47 AM   #4
rich b

Not so easy to find seats that both tip forward and still look right in an older car.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 09:46 AM   #5
Als48

Hey Boomer, I used a set of buckets from about a '66 Malibu SS in my '48 tudor for a few years, mounted with their original feet/brackets. Those seat worked quite well and were comfortable, low back with no headrests. The upholstery was quite worn, tho so I looked in the salvage yards for a replacement set and found a four-door BMW 3 series from around '95 with electric buckets and nice leather upholstery. I modified the rear seat by narrowing and reprofiling the back a little to fit the car. I used the front slide frames, but made spacers for them to raise about an inch as they were very low. The electric backrest will swing forward some, enough that someone can enter the back seat area, but that's not ideal. I deleted the headrests by plugging the holes with decorative buttons. They look very nice. Room for a narrow console, too.

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 10:31 AM   #6
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
If your seat is in bad condition you might want to consider a set of these on eBay : https://www.ebay.com/itm/325564645547. I'm considering getting a set to protect my decent original upholstery.
I just got a set of those for my '40 tudor. We travel with a small dog and I wanted to keep the seats clean. The quality of the material is very good and the fit was also good. I am happy with the covers and there is good communication with the seller on e-Bay. They will send you samples of the material.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 11:04 AM   #7
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
I just got a set of those for my '40 tudor. We travel with a small dog and I wanted to keep the seats clean. The quality of the material is very good and the fit was also good. I am happy with the covers and there is good communication with the seller on e-Bay. They will send you samples of the material.
You just made up my mind.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 02:46 PM   #8
Babyboomerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayChicago View Post
Just about every car made in the last fifty years has bucket seats. One thing that makes our old cars unique is their bench seats. Why remove that?

Ok, I'll shut up now. Each to his own opinion.
Thank you JayChicago, I forgot what it was like to drive a car while sitting on a sofa. My first car, in 1963, was a 1950 Ford with a bench seat. It is just taking time to feel comfortable. Bucket seat fit snuggly about the body and I was missing that feeling. Back in 1963 my body didn't need to feel snuggly. Anyway thanks again for helping me to decide to keep the bench.
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 10:26 AM   #9
Joe B.

Don't toss the bench seat. Seems like they go quickly on F/B forum.