View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 10:58 PM   #8
Special Coupe Frank

Default Re: can this car color be identified?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimelampshop View Post
thanks for the comments so far. i am performing a frame off restore. the engine was actually rebuilt by snyders model A for a big some of money too. everything on car, i hope to be correct, however will use proper repro parts where needed to restore to like new condition. thats why i wondered on the color hurting value.

i bought the model a ford paint and finish guide with color chips, however the chips are so small that i cant get a good feel for what they would look like on the car. most options for 29 are dark colors. does anyone know where there may be pictures of cars with proper color on them so that i can view and make a better decision on if i like the color.
the green car i posted pic of, i dont recall where i saved that pic from but just liked the greenish color on it. it looked nice.
If you're going through the trouble of a frame-off restoration, and want top-dollar for the vehicle down the road, you best-off going with a correct color combo.

Serious Model A folk aren't likely to pay top-dollar for a car wearing incorrect colors. The wheel colors are less an issue than the body colors.

When I bought my '28 Special Coupe, it was wearing spray-can black. I ordered the Paint & Finish Guide so that I could see what the official offerings were for color selection. I was disappointed by how "dark" most of the'28-'29 colors are.

Subsequent poking and prodding has revealed that my car was originally one of the very dark blues, probably Andalusite Blue ( looks black if the car is parked in the shade ).
So, I went from considering Dawn Grey Dark & Dawn Grey Light, to probably staying with the original colors: Andalusite Blue with black belt and French Gray stripe. I may "go rogue" and paint the wheels French Gray too... we shall see...

Good luck with your project !
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote