View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
oljoe001

Default Re: rebuilt steering boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
You have to determine if the leak is from where theshaft goes through theseal, or from where the seal is installed in the housing, ---if it is from between the housing and theseal perhaps theseal was damaged during instrallation, of the bore of the housing was machined wrong(too rough) ---changing the seal and adding sealer to the seal housing interface shoud cure that problem.

If it is leaking between the sector shaft and the seal look gor sharp spots, and burrs that can cut the lip of the seal when it is installed ---the seal would have to be visibly off center to have that cause a problem with the slow rotational speed of a sector, but grooves and scratches in the sector shaft can cause leakage, another possibility is the bonding of the seal lip rubber to the seal housing ---too much play between the bearings and the sector could make it pump oil out if the seal isn't capable of keeping up with the movement ---I would think loose steering would be also noticed.

The key to fixing it is to find the exact point of leakage.
Thanks Kurt, it is possible I damaged it. The one on my truck is the first one I built it it runs out like there is no seal. The steering box is tight steers very smooth. the other one that I put on my double a had a noticeable leak at the seal don't know if it was the housing or at the shaft. Oh well I guess it doesnt really matter I will just have to pull it out regardless. Just wondering if it was a common problem apperently not though.
Thank you
Joe
oljoe001 is offline   Reply With Quote