Thread: Ticking noise
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2021, 08:25 AM   #10
rotorwrench

Default Re: Ticking noise

The distributor drive is subject to corrosion problems from condensation. I've had the same problems since the heat likes to rise to the highest point of the valve chamber during cool down. I've had the distributor drive shaft seize to the drive sleeve and I had to heat is up pretty well to get it to come apart. I learned to spray the parts with LPS 3 or coat them in par-al-ketone to keep the corrosion at bay.

You may have a sticky valve but you have it open where you can check valve clearance and function so now it's an easy check. Decent compression levels rule out a burned valve. Other cam checks have already been mentioned.

Loose or worn bottom end bearings can start as a light knock but generally get louder as the wear progresses. Check the easy things first. Any loose part that rotates or oscillates can cause a audible sound. The engine design doesn't lend itself to loose pieces getting into the combustion chamber and causing piston to head issues so that is pretty rare to have a thing like that happen unless there is no air filter and the engine pans are missing. Drawing something uphill isn't a likely scenario on the early 4-cylinder Fords but I've had it happen on the later downdraft plenum designs.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote