View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #61
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: generator or alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Wow, I like your thinking!! With that same mindset we could also put on fiberglass fenders because they are cheaper & easier to fix than steel, and while we're at it, maybe replace the wheels & tires with ones from a 70's Ford pick-up because they are ½ the price. Oh and instead of replacing the windows with glass, we could use sheet plastic because it is less money too, oh and we can use naugahyde reminants from WalMart for upholstery instead. Oh and that paint at Tractor Supply is much cheaper too...
. Insert smiley face ..Thinking back over the years, I've done all of those things with slight variations. In the seventies I put a set of fiberglass rear fenders on our coupe because I didn't have any and Ricks fenders were only about thirty something dollars each. I didn't have much money, they looked ok and it was still a model A. I replaced the fiberglass fenders in the ninties with new steel fenders. When I got the coupe, I hauled it home in pieces with lots of parts missing. it didn't have any door glass. I had an old gun case with plexiglass in the doors. I used a hand saw and carefully cut out door glasses for the coupe .My first model A was a strip down with 50 mercury 15 inch wheels and spun aluminum disc hubcaps. I liked hot rods and it was quite a thrill for a 13 year old. It had a stack for an exhaust but it was my hot rod model A and it would chick-ah-lunk with the spark retarded. I've still got it but its got some cool aluminum wheels with big and little tires that my son in law gave me. My first model A had a 1950 De Soto generator that uncle Ray and I rigged up negative ground and it worked good. The sealed beam headlamps were bright. We didn't have a Walmart way back then but aunt Grace made up a seat cover out of some used vinyl that she had and we installed it. I painted my first two model A's with a brush and Fix All enamel from the local hardware store. I wasn't a bodyman-painter then but with a good nylon bristle brush they looked good to me at the time.Everybody doesn't necessarily care about a points show car but still love model A's whether they are perfect original or not . All of these things can be reversed and these sort of things has preserved a lot of model A's that otherwise would have been scrapped. Just my humble thoughts.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote