View Single Post
Old 09-26-2020, 10:45 PM   #11
cabrioletgalaxie

Default Re: hunting a ghost problem in my '47

Thanks for you comments. Just to clear things up. I have not changed parts helter skelter.
Gas tank was full of sheets of rust, gas was brown in color so changed the tank, fuel pump and rebuilt carb.
Adjusted float in carb, installed in line fuel filter as there was crud swirling around int sediment bowl.
I tested the generator which turned out to work fine. Found the cutout points not closing on their own so closed them manually as a test to see if ammeter registered and it did.
Replaced the voltage regulator. Some regulators actually have adjustable points. Not on the Ford but others did.
The points and condenser I replaced last year just to do a tune up as I had no history on the car. All of these things done with a friend who is an SAE certified mechanic with 40 years experience who now is semi retired and works only on vintage cars.
Both times I broke down I had no testing tools with me. Otherwise I could have done something to determine the problem. Believe me I do not want to just replace parts so I have only replaced parts that I know to be faulty, like the voltage regulator which was pretty old.
I just watched a video of how to test a condenser which I may try.
I have heard that condensers go bad and stay bad and are do not go bad intermittently.
Looking for confirmation on that.
cabrioletgalaxie is offline   Reply With Quote