Thread: Paint prep
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2020, 07:53 AM   #18
77Birdman

Default Re: Paint prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
Like Todd j I also use PPG DX330 with no problems. Never use a tack rag that you would use on wood work. After all my work in getting a panel ready, I used a tag rag and you could see all the places where the waxy substance was left. The paint would not stick and it pulled away leaving little holes to the primer all over the place! As I recall I re-sanded the panel and wiped down three times with PPG DX330 using two rags, one wet and the other dry for the final clean. Change the rags often. I buy a bag of 250 lint free rags from Home Depot @ $12.00.
They make wax free tac rags. Last car I painted I just cleaned it good with final prep, did not use a tac rag and the paint came out perfect. I think it has more to do with the environment than the tac process. If theres dust/dirt in the air will fall after you tac anyway! I do the same with the rags though. I will wipe down turning the rag over a few times initially. Then I will fold the rag, clean one swipe, turn the rag. I keep at this until after wiping the rag comes up clean. At that point the metal should be ready for paint.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote