View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 01:51 PM   #12
38bill

Default Re: Rebuilt generator to 12 volt source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
This was on the HAMB.

mr bill (Jan 5 2000 2:11PM) 6V generator to 12V
Has anybody changed their generator to 12V? I took mine to a repair shop to be converted and I was told that the existing field coils are too short to convert unless I went with a longer case. Since a longer case will not fit with my dual carb setup I am wondering what to do. I dont want to use an offset mount as this will require changing the fan set up. I am thinking that maybe I should keep the 6V. Any ideas?

Converting gen. V EK: Converting a 6V generator is pretty simple since only the fields HAVE to be changed. Use the 12V generator fields from early V8 Falcon-Comet-Mustang generators... they bolt up in the 6V generator case. (If you're running a '39 or '40 generator, you'll have to drill a hole for the ground since these generators are only two post units and the fields are wired for 3 posts.) Someone said the cases themselves are interchangeable if you drill a hole in the case for the locating pin. I don't know if that's true or not since I've never done one that way. (I usually am working on a chrome generator and want to retain the chrome case.) The armatures for the 6V flathead and the 12V generators bolt right up and will work in the 12V generator.... to a point. The 6V armature wiring is roughly twice as heavy as the 12V. No problem here (except you can't use a 12V armature in a 6V generator... it's a one way interchange.... the armature wire size is too small). If you do use the 6V armature for 12V, the generator will only produce about 75%-80% of the amps a 12V armature would. This is because there is one(if I remember correctly) less commutator bar and winding in the 12V armature than in the 6V. This reduces the amount of amps the generator can produce. Naturally, the voltage rating of the regulator must match the voltage rating of the generator. New voltage regulators for 12V generators are nearly all electronic. Whereas the 6V are all mechanical as far as I can determine. The electronic are not affected by heat or cold, but the mechanical are really affected by heat and cold. The electronic are virtually trouble free. Mechanical units give some problems from time to time and have to be re-adjusted as the springs etc. weaken with age etc.. I wish I could find a 6V electronic one. Anyone out there know of any???? Hope this is of some help to those converting..... rumble seat
Abomination, Mar 7, 2011
SHARE POST#
Wow, I posted that question on the old FB just over 20 years ago!
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote