View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #7
Old Henry

Default Re: How do I buy Bob Sherman thermostats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
Professor

What is the difference between an 8BA cooling requirement from a 59ab?John
The 8ba thermostats sit in the block surrounded by a pool of water so that when the cup on the Robert Shaw style stat drops down the water can just flood over the top of the cup unrestricted whereas in the 59A the stat sits in the radiator hose neck (or in the hose itself for Shewman's adaptation of the 8ba style) and the water is blocked by the cup rather than being able to freely flow over the top of it unrestricted. Wish I was good at drawing a nice graphic diagram but I'm not. Maybe the graphic diagram guru 51 MERC-CT can help us out. If you look at the design of the thermostats made for the 59A engine compared to the Robertshaw style stats made for the 8ba engine the difference in function for the two different environments is quite apparent. The thread referenced (https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112889) is a good source for those images and more information. If I can find any good diagrams that show the difference I'll post them.

Last edited by Old Henry; 09-25-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote