View Single Post
Old 03-23-2021, 09:56 PM   #6
ford nut

Default Re: 36' rear tail pan repair

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishsteel View Post
I did this on my 36 coupe. I didn't use all of the path panel, just enough to repair the rust out, which was below the body line so I didn't have to match that. It has been several years, but the only problem/misfit I remember is that the bosses for the bumper mounts weren't tight against the braces on the end of the frame so I had to slide shims between the sheet metal and the brace so the sheet metal wouldn't be distorted when I mounted the bumper and tightened the bolts. The metal is distorted around the bumper mounts so it took some hammer and dolly work to make them look decent, and the shape from side to side wasn't the same--things only the owner will normally see, but "seeable" just the same. Good luck. Don't plan on doing it in a couple hours--a long seam to match and weld.
thanks for your reply. i thought of doing the same (i'll include a pic) as far as "cropping" the patch panel down to the minimum needed. but then i thought if i reuse the original outer sheet metal, i would be in control of where i cut it off at the top horizontal line giving myself more room to work in that tight space. having the panel off, i could really hammer and dolly it out on the bench before re-installing it. new panel or old it has to get welded back on. my inner panel had a spacer spot welded in to make up for any space between body brackets and sheet metal on each side. i think about 12g. thick. i've got lead to melt out, brass to get rid of and two 3-1/2" holes above bumper mounts. it looks like at some point the body mount bolt that go up through the brackets rusted and froze and the nut was spinning in it's cage. it was brazed and leaded. i've allowed 1-1/2 to 2 weeks to make it solid again. here's that picture, not mine, off the web. here's rare shot from the inside!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pierson+coupe+build+(1).jpg (59.2 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg 36 CABRIO Body Ready for install.jpg (44.4 KB, 163 views)
ford nut is offline   Reply With Quote