View Single Post
Old 01-26-2021, 11:00 AM   #55
GB SISSON

Default Re: Australian 1940-1941 Ford Open Cab Pick-Ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme / New Zealand View Post
Here's a V8 fire truck that has been restored. The small "hamlet" of Stokes Valley where I lived used to house this . I remember as a small kid rushing down to the fire station when ever the siren went to see this thing take off. I was impressed with the sound of its torquey engine....oh that sound! The black and white picture shows the pumper that the local brigade had at the same time taking water from a stream in the 1950s, but this was replaced in the 60's by an English Dennis. From memory the Jail Bar soldiered on well into the 70s as a secondary appliance. The bodies were locally built possibly by the Colonial motor company, but I might be wrong.

Thanks to Trev for starting this interesting thread we tend to often overlook the importance of these old trucks

GB
I wonder where that rear door came from. I imagine that window cutout would be very difficult work for a smaller shop. A panel truck back door?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote