View Single Post
Old 02-12-2015, 11:34 PM   #96
haag1332

Default Re: carburetor 13/32 deep well socket

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Here's a five sided socket and some penta-bolts:

For the guy that has everything in his tool box!
Somehow I knew someone was going to try and elaborate on this odd number sided bolt thing, lol.

I could bore everyone with the details of why odd number facets have been used on fasteners and spline shafts, and everything else, but it would be boring, lol.

Quite simply put though, lol. Everything round that rotates has a natural harmonic, when the natural harmonic matches some multiple of the revolutions in 360 degrees, you will experience a synchronous, or subsynchronous vibration. So naturally everyone has tried to design around this. Since a circle still always has 360 degrees, people have tried to design odd number fasteners used in line with the rotating component to offset synchronous vibration..........never mind, gonna stop here before I write a book. But it's kinda like when your car shakes at only 35, and 60 or whatever. Things have been balanced, but unfortunately there will always be some sort of distortion or imbalance presented at some components natural harmonic. Usually these vibrations will be directly attributed to the diameter of a specific component..... ok gonna stop.
haag1332 is offline   Reply With Quote