View Single Post
Old 05-06-2022, 07:07 PM   #55
JimNNN

Default Re: 1958 Ford Fairlane Spring Model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
This is from an interesting read on the 1957-1959 FORD. A few things I didn't realize regarding the 58.

SOURCE - https://auto.howstuffworks.com/1957-...tyling.htm#pt4

That is interesting. From the article: "Ford had three objectives for its 1958 facelift... In retrospect, the result comes off quite well against that year's "Chromes-mobile" and bespangled Buick, but it was not well-liked at the time. That judgement is shared today by collectors, who consider the 1957 the most beautiful Ford of the decade, the 1958 the ugliest."

When I like the styling of a car, it's generally well liked by others, or at least appreciated as something that's unique and interesting. That's why I find it weird that other people don't like the '58 Ford. Now, most other Ford's from the fifties were attractive (some more so than others) so I can understand that the '58's styling is the least well liked of the decade because the competition from the other years is stiff. But it's still a nice looking car. I guess the problem is that '58 was just a bad year for styling for all car makers in general. Many Mopars still had the impressive big fin look, but they were just starting to enter their weird phase in '58...by '60-61 there was some pretty strange looking stuff coming out of Chysler. The Edsel was odd, but it didn't deserve it's reputation as the worst looking car of the era. That honor belongs to the '58 Buick that the article mentions. And most other '58 cars from GM were almost as bad.

I personally think 1958 was the best looking year of the decade for the two door Ranch Wagon and sedan delivery. I'd love to have a Ranchero from that year, too.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote