View Single Post
Old 09-19-2017, 12:31 AM   #14
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Checking bottom end bearing clearances

Hi LTK,

There is a very typical method described in the Model T manuals for adjusting Babbitt bearings by a method which was used going back to adjusting Babbitt on the 1850 steam engines.

Plasti-gage was not introduced until long after Model T's and A's and it was first introduced in 1948. I personally never knew of anyone who used Plasti-gage for Babbitt bearing adjustment in our area. I'm sure that in 1948 when it was introduced, vintage mechanics had no time to fool around playing with this plastic stuff.

I adjusted my 1930 Coupe bearings in about 1960, (57) years ago .... engine ran 36 years with no problems .... still have same engine to re-install in Coupe; and ten (10) years ago I adjusted my Model A mains and connecting rod bearings the same vintage way without Plasti-gage, without metal shim material, without aluminum foil and have had absolutely no problems.

In fact, I never heard about Plasti-gage or using aluminum foil or metal shims until reading same on Model A Forums where it appears it has become some form of religious activity where Plasti-gage has to be as fresh and as soft as fresh chicken poop.

In 1958 I was taught how to adjust Model A Babbitt bearings by my mechanic father, (born 1902), and his mechanic brother born 1905; both who learned from their engineer father, (born 1867), & who adjusted steam engines and gasoline engines. He was taught by his father, steam engine mechanic, (born 1836), who was taught by his father, steam engine mechanic (born 1813), working on his brother's two (2) Paddle Wheel Steamers, the Paragon and the Teche. We still live in this same area.

We always first removed Model A engines and inverted them so this work could be done in a jiffy. But just like pouring Babbitt, it is an "art" & a science .... if one is lacking dexterity and is lacking the "art" part ..... best advice is to go buy a pack of the Plasti-gage which can pass the fresh chicken poop test.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote