View Single Post
Old 09-30-2020, 07:28 AM   #8
Bob Bidonde

Default Re: Briggs Body Number

The bottom line regarding this topic is that there are no records of body tag numbers relating to body build dates. What can be done to estimate car assembly dates requires information from car owners, especially from the owners of original cars and those who have actually seen the frame number of their car. So I urge all Model 68 owners to help Tom Moniz and body specific clubs by giving data about your car.

I keep a record of surviving 190A Victorias for the Victoria Association. To reasonably estimate the assembly dates of cars at a Ford plant, a few cars having frame numbers that match the original engine number are necessary.

I also have not been able to find any records relating body tag numbers to body assembly dates. What can be rationalized is the time period that the body was assembled onto a frame (the car assembly date).

The probable car assembly date is estimated to be within a period of 90 days from the date of the engine number stamped into the frame or the number stamped into the original engine's cylinder block. The frame number and the engine number did match when the car was assembled by Ford. However, the frame number takes precedence over the engine number in the determination of the car assembly date because few cars have their original engine.

Steve Plucker has done extraordinary investigations about the output of Ford assembly plants, and perhaps Steve can comment about this post. By the way, Steve has published his explorations in a entitled, "The 1928-1931 Ford Assembly Plants And Their Production Of The Model A Ford Passenger Cars, Part1."

Last edited by Bob Bidonde; 09-30-2020 at 07:57 AM.
Bob Bidonde is offline   Reply With Quote