View Single Post
Old 12-11-2019, 11:26 PM   #56
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: What is the price of a rebuilt flathead??

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
Over the years I've talked to several people who have indicated that very same thing. In fact years ago I had a chance to buy a complete Ardun engine and was advised if I was going to spend that money, it would be better spent on the reproductions.
Well . . . as somebody who has the good fortune (or lunacy!) to understand both, the answer is in the details and expectations:

1) Original or Repop: Nobody can claim to know the exact number of real sets of original heads, but it surely seems to be under 1000 sets - many say in the 3 - 5 hundreds. (I've never seen a serial number with 4 digits - and nothing over 700 - and nothing lower than 300).

2) Does Original Matter to You: So - if you care about "originals", then one can ask the question . . . "Hmmmm, so how many are actually still here in the world???". I don't know the answer, but probably far less than were actually produced. So the point is that original always matters . . . at least to many of us. It also matters to future value . . . at least I hope so.

3) Spending Money - New Versus Original: It kind of comes down to would you rather have an old 32 roadster that you need to restore, fix, repair, etc . . . or a Brookville? There is no "right" answer to that question - but it is one that you have to consider. But, the overall VALUE can come into play . . . what is a mint original 32 Roadster worth . . . compared to a brand, spanking new Brookville? You get my point . . .

4) Old and New: Don Ferguson (and Don Orosco before him) have done all of us Ardun fans a huge favor. By reproducing and improving the heads and associated rocker-arms, valve covers, lifters, etc - they have actually enabled a lot of old, moldy and forgotten Ardun heads/engines to be brought back to life. This gives the HotRod world plenty of options . . . you can buy original stuff (and probably do a ton of work to get them back into running shape), you can buy a brand-new package from Don and be ready to rock in a very short period of time . . . or some combination of the both. Don has rebuilt, helped and supported MANY guys who did not buy his complete head kit . . . kudos to him!

My Experiences: I originally met Don's Dad - Don Sr - back in the "Taco Shop" days (1970's - Joe Reath introduced me to them) - I have the utmost respect for Don, his products and his family. They have never been about "big profits" - more along the line of a passion for what we do . . . and maybe a few $$$ to help pay for his/ours hobby. For all the trouble it takes to produce the "new" Ardun heads . . . it isn't like the 'sales' are a big money maker. (It is about love/dedication to our world)

I have personally bought a lot of parts from Don - to help me get my original Ardun heads back to life. Thank God we have the resources of Don (and his Father Don Sr.) - as they invested in ALL of this decades ago and have helped continue the legacy. They're just a great family of vintage Hotrodders.

The Ardun Story Continues: New . . . old or some hybrid combination - the Ardun story lives because of dedicated folks like Don Ferguson, Ronnie Roadster and a lot of other folks that love these goofy damn Flathead Hemis.

I hope to see MORE of them on the road, in running cars, on the salt and in real Hotrods . . . who gives a crap about another Ardun in yet another museum . . .

Whew - time for bed! LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote